Advice on binoculars

• joxer66
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
16 years 2 months ago #63337 by joxer66
Advice on binoculars was created by joxer66
hi guys - i'm a newbie to the whole Astronomical scene and have been using my binoculars to look upwards. whilst the moon looks grand and pin sharp when i get the focus right i'm longing for a better view of the stars

i'm not in the market for a scope just yet (apart from the cost i havent a notion about dobs, refractors collimation etc etc) but would like to get a more powerful st of binoculars - what should i be looking for - mine are 110mmX1000mm

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 2 months ago #63340 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: Advice on binoculars

hi guys - i'm a newbie to the whole Astronomical scene and have been using my binoculars to look upwards. whilst the moon looks grand and pin sharp when i get the focus right i'm longing for a better view of the stars

i'm not in the market for a scope just yet (apart from the cost i havent a notion about dobs, refractors collimation etc etc) but would like to get a more powerful st of binoculars - what should i be looking for - mine are 110mmX1000mm

Hi Joxer,

Those number don't look right to me. There's no way your binoculars have a 1m diameter lenses!

Also, the first number shouldn't be in mm, it should be the magnification, again, 110 is not possible.

If you could find out the actual specs of the binos then we could advise on a good 'next step'.

Regards,

Bart.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

More
16 years 2 months ago #63343 by Keith g
Replied by Keith g on topic Re:
Howya Joxer, what binoculars do you have? I assume that you can hand hold them to give you good views right? If you want to get a 'bigger' pair of binoculars, Celstron's 15x70,mm Skymasters are quite good at about €130 or so, but even with these, a very good stable tripod mount can go a very long way.

I just love Binocular observing too, and if you want an incredible mount for years to come, you may want to consider this mount:
www.telescope-service.com/tripods/start/...start.html#Binomount

I have one and paid about €400 for it 2 years ago - don't let the price scare you, in all honesty it's well worth it ! :shock:

Just remember that a 'bigger' pair of binos will have a smaller field of view, which will be harder to focus on anything if you are hand holding them, and they will probably be a bit heavier.

I have 3 pairs of binos, simple 9x60's - nioce and light and wide field of view, 15x70's and 20x90mm's... Check out Strathspey in Scotland too, John Burns is a good man to deal with...

www.strathspey.co.uk/

Hope this helps,
Keith..

More
16 years 2 months ago #63347 by pj30something
Replied by pj30something on topic Re: Advice on binoculars
mine are 110mmX1000mm

I suspect these bins were bought in the Canary Islands. I bought a pair in Lanzarote over Christmas and the box said they were something similar.

I suspect they are really 8X50.

I used 7X50 for over 20 yrs and the ones i bought in Lanzarote do collect more light. So by what i know of 7X50 and what people here say about 10X50..........................i know mine are somewhere in the middle.

You cant beat a good pair of bins. Essential to them is a binocular mount.

Paul C
My next scope is going to be a Vixen VMC200L Catadioptric OTA

More
16 years 2 months ago #63381 by JohnMurphy
Replied by JohnMurphy on topic Re: Advice on binoculars
I'd agree with Keith, my Celestron 15x70s give marvellous bang for buck easily outclassing more expensive binos.
If you can't spend the dosh on an expensive mount, buy a good reclinable deck chair - about €30, and hold the binos at the heavy end - the objectives - for a more stable view.

Clear Skies,
John Murphy
Irish Astronomical Society
Check out My Photos

More
16 years 2 months ago #63390 by Tonybwf
Replied by Tonybwf on topic Re: Advice on binoculars
Id second the lads there i have the celestron 15x70s i find them excellent but anything bigger then that you would definately need a tripod and chair!! my mate has a pair of zhummell 25x100 and there 3.5kilos!!!!

Regards
Tony

"What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Time to create page: 0.106 seconds