K-Tec

I'm at nothing with a 350D and a Skylux - my options?

More
16 years 1 week ago #66647 by dmcdona

Being around fellow-nuts

:?:

:wink:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Seanie_Morris
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
16 years 1 week ago #66700 by Seanie_Morris
Thanks Anto for the reply. Everything said so far by you all has been insightful, and very appreciated. I have begun to delve into the world of mounts, and as you know, there are many options avaiable... except the AP1200!

I am looking up the camera's mentioned to me and the modifications they can take to improve/upgrade them.

But, I also digress a little - this is not purely a target, or venture, of mine, so I can't say for certain what it is I want to photograph i.e. the differences between DSO and planetary photography means, in certain conditions, seperate cameras. I just want to be able to do the photography in the event I want to do it. My part of Astronomy as a hobby is still observing, both naked eye and with optical instruments. I am just considering a basic, but good, set up to have when I want to try photographing something interesting (and not necessarily reinvent the wheel!).

General feeling has me leaning towards:
1) Keeping the Skywatcher 80ED;
2) Upgrade the mount to either a Celestron CG5-GT or higher, or a Meade LXD75 mount (the mount upgrade being a priority);
3) Practise with the 350D and its numerous light settings to find the right balance on different astronomical night time objects;
4) Appreciate the better mount+350D combo a bit more for longer duration exposure tracking, both at prime focus and as-is;
5) Purchase an SPC900NC camera and apply the SC4 modification to improve its sensor to use for better DSO photography.

After this, all I need is the freetime (another bummer for me in this hobby), and clear nights when I have that free time!

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
16 years 1 week ago #66718 by ayiomamitis

But, I also digress a little - this is not purely a target, or venture, of mine, so I can't say for certain what it is I want to photograph i.e. the differences between DSO and planetary photography means, in certain conditions, seperate cameras.

Unfortunately we need the right camera for the right project. I have my CCD camera for DSO work, I have my Canon EOS 300d/350d for special events involving the sun and moon (eclipses, conjunctions, occultations), I have my DMK for high-power high-res work involving members of the solar system, I have my manual Canon A1, EOS 3 and EOS Rebels (35mm SLR) for special projects (ex. analemma) etc.

It is similar to having a set of screwdrivers so that you can choose the right one for the task at hand. I am afraid there is no way around it.

I just want to be able to do the photography in the event I want to do it. My part of Astronomy as a hobby is still observing, both naked eye and with optical instruments. I am just considering a basic, but good, set up to have when I want to try photographing something interesting (and not necessarily reinvent the wheel!).

The problem here is what I describe in the previous paragraph, for there isn't one single camera that can do everything (or almost everything).

General feeling has me leaning towards:
1) Keeping the Skywatcher 80ED;

Which should be good for widefield work involving DSO's and special events involving the sun and moon.

2) Upgrade the mount to either a Celestron CG5-GT or higher, or a Meade LXD75 mount (the mount upgrade being a priority);

No matter what type of photography you want to do, a good mount will prove to be your partner. I cannot say enough good things about having a quality mount. My AP1200GTO works with me as opposed to working against me.

3) Practise with the 350D and its numerous light settings to find the right balance on different astronomical night time objects;

My take on this is to make sure the 350D (which I also have) is the right camera for your intended work. For example, eclipses, aurorae, NLC's, the rising full moon, the setting sun and bright DSO's would be perfect candidates for such work. The settings you refer to are not as involved as you may think.

4) Appreciate the better mount+350D combo a bit more for longer duration exposure tracking, both at prime focus and as-is;

For prime focus, the mount will be very important. As-is (I am assuming piggy-back), you have greater tolerances when imaging constellations or the Milky Way.

5) Purchase an SPC900NC camera and apply the SC4 modification to improve its sensor to use for better DSO photography.

I would not steer you this path ... a webcam is NOT suitable for DSO work and irrespective of the fact that it can be modified for extended exposures and/or cooled etc. The 350D would be a better tool for such work.

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

• Seanie_Morris
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
16 years 1 week ago #66724 by Seanie_Morris

I would not steer you this path ... a webcam is NOT suitable for DSO work and irrespective of the fact that it can be modified for extended exposures and/or cooled etc. The 350D would be a better tool for such work.

True, but I think my angle for this is first, it has been the most mentioned amateur camera for my level, and second, its affordability. To spend hundreds on a 'proper' CCD camera would mean giving up the few free nights I get with the wife in a month as it is! :D

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
16 years 1 week ago #66739 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: I'm at nothing with a 350D and a Skylux - my options?

Agreed. If you already have a DSLR, I think you're completely wasting your time going down this route of modding a webcam for DSO use.

More
16 years 1 week ago #66740 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: I'm at nothing with a 350D and a Skylux - my options?

It is similar to having a set of screwdrivers so that you can choose the right one for the task at hand. I am afraid there is no way around it.

That is a good analogy Anthony.

Time to create page: 0.100 seconds