K-Tec

I'm at nothing with a 350D and a Skylux - my options?

More
16 years 1 week ago #66546 by dmcdona
Seanie - either of these should satisfy your requirements:

www.rcopticalsystems.com/proaltaz.html

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 1 week ago #66547 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: I'm at nothing with a 350D and a Skylux - my options?
I suppose it depends on what objects you want to image Seanie.
If you plan to image Saturn, you need focal lengths in the order of meters and a high-frame camera.
With the Moon, something in the order of 1m focal length would do the trick, but increased apeture will reveal more detail.
If I were you, I'd start off with a short focal length camera lens on the skylux mount and work up from there.

More
16 years 1 week ago #66555 by fguihen
perfectly timed thread, as i recently got a DSLR. Seanie et al, i have a few questions about connecting the dslr body to the scope.

1. Where did you get the bracket to connect the camer ( mines a canon 400D) to the visual back of the scope?

2. for anyone using a SCT, my sct visual back just uses pressure to hold in the diagonal( via two thumb screws that press on the metal barrel of the diagonal. I am afraid this is not sufficient to hold a camera body steady enough or , god forbid, even let the camera fall out and hit the deck. are there better visuab backs for scopes, that hold in the diagonal/eyepieces with more than the pressure of a thumb screw?

"Success is the happy feeling you get between the time you do something and the time you tell a woman what you did." Dilbert.

• paulevans
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 years 1 week ago #66558 by paulevans
An important tip which I will pass on that has kept me out of trouble so far...

If your camera is ever in an uphill facing situation, such as imaging through a refractor or SCT/MCT, wrap the strap around the mount so that if something comes loose there isn't an expensive crashing sound!

• Seanie_Morris
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
16 years 1 week ago #66559 by Seanie_Morris
Dave Mac, I like the first scope in your link, I think that one is a runner... ;)

Mike, what I want to image can be anything and everything. I have no specific targets, but I like to be able to take a decent sized image of say Saturn, or the Orion Nebula, and even widefields - I guess it just depends on my mood, and the kind of low-budget guy I am at the moment.

I have been talking with a few people here via PM and Messengers, and the best advise (average majority) I have been given is to get a hold of the LXD75 mount, keep my Skywatcher 80ED, and get a SPC900NC and mod it (SC4 I'm told) to become similar to an Atik 16Hrc CCD camera. The LXD75 mount will give me decently long tracking times with the 80mm ED, a little less if I go up in aperture, but much longer with the 350D and a good lens (I have 28-80mm and 70-300mm lenses).

I have seen some images on webtreatz from Dave and Jed and see what I could achieve with such a set up, so that gives me some hope.

More food for thought.

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

• Seanie_Morris
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
16 years 1 week ago #66561 by Seanie_Morris

1. Where did you get the bracket to connect the camer ( mines a canon 400D) to the visual back of the scope?

2. for anyone using a SCT, my sct visual back just uses pressure to hold in the diagonal( via two thumb screws that press on the metal barrel of the diagonal. I am afraid this is not sufficient to hold a camera body steady enough or , god forbid, even let the camera fall out and hit the deck. are there better visuab backs for scopes, that hold in the diagonal/eyepieces with more than the pressure of a thumb screw?

Hi Fintan,
the T-thread and T-mount are specific to camera manufacturer, but made by (most of the) telescope manufacturer(s). I have a Celestron pair. The T-mount replaces the physical lens in terms of fitting into the bayonet-type mount on the 350/400D, and that in turn screws into the T-thread, which then fits like an eyepiece into the 1.25" focuser. Your camera weight would be like a heavy widefield Nagler almost, so the thumbscrews are all you will have to hold it in. But, like Paul said above, try to use the neckstrap if it is still on the camera to tie around something IN CASE you almost have a nasty, and expensive, accident!

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Time to create page: 0.102 seconds