K-Tec

Which Telescope for my 5 year old son?

• johnnyivan
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
13 years 4 months ago #87378 by johnnyivan
Replied by johnnyivan on topic Re:Which Telescope for my 5 year old son?
Thanks Stevie and everyone else for being so patient. I do appreciate the advice - it won't be wasted in the long run. I haven't dropped by any dealers yet as I always prefer enthusiasts' opinions to those of sales-people.

I've since seen that a few people here and on other forums have used the Lidlscope. Varying opinions: some very impressed by what it delivers for the price, others puting up with inconsitent build quality in the mount and dusty lenses (I think). And not great for urban/suburban viewing?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 4 months ago #87383 by mjc
Here's an interesting scope that might be suitable

www.telescopes-binoculars.co.uk/acatalog...nior_telescopes.html

While binoculars should always be considered for first bit of kit Its going to be a challenge for a five year old to handle.

This bit of kit is as simple as it gets - though only 3" (76mm) aperture - that's still better than a 50mm binocular objective. No weight bearing required - quick to set up. Skywatcher is a reputable manufacturer. Probably more robust than binoculars.

At £35 it appears good value. However, not sure how one could collimate it if it required it. At that price quality of optics - particularly the eyepiece - may be questionable. Its not clear if the eyepiece is replaceable or if its a standard 1 1/4" fit.

Mark C.

More
13 years 4 months ago #87384 by stevie
Replied by stevie on topic Re:Which Telescope for my 5 year old son?
I forgot about that one, and Andy McCrea had one at the NIAAS a couple of months ago DOH! Actually, that's a handy page, I've bookmarked it for the next time this question crops up on the NIAAS website.

Time to create page: 0.099 seconds