K-Tec

Which Telescope for my 5 year old son?

• johnnyivan
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
13 years 4 months ago #87355 by johnnyivan
Replied by johnnyivan on topic Re:Which Telescope for my 5 year old son?
By the way...
At a School/Parish Jumble Sale the other week there was a Science Museum brand 'TV Telescope'. Great big box, with a little monitor in it. €4! I couldn't believe my luck. Seemed worth the risk - money for a good cause anyway.

Got home. No telescope or tripod! AGH! Just an eyepiece extension, cables, 1 lens I think, and the 'TV'.

Too good to be true. Would have expected a stuck on label that described the missing contents at least!

John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 4 months ago #87356 by Janek
Replied by Janek on topic Re:Which Telescope for my 5 year old son?
Get him decent 10x50 binoculars first.

• johnnyivan
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
13 years 4 months ago #87357 by johnnyivan
Hi Janek,
We have HALINA Discovery ones, they're 7x50.

Tricky enough for him to look through and hold steady. There's no tripd attachment.

More
13 years 4 months ago #87360 by lunartic_old
Replied by lunartic_old on topic Re:Which Telescope for my 5 year old son?
Don't go near any "telescope" that comes from a shop like Smyth's, pure junk and you'll be kicking yourself for wasting your money. Remember, Smyth's is a toy shop for a reason, it only sells toys.

Paul

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.

Rich Cook

• johnnyivan
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
13 years 4 months ago #87362 by johnnyivan
Yep, that's why I'm here. Steve also said:

"...be sure to buy from a recognized dealer, do not buy from a toy shop, and do not buy from ebay or the like, until you know what you are doing."

More
13 years 4 months ago - 13 years 4 months ago #87368 by stevie
Replied by stevie on topic Re:Which Telescope for my 5 year old son?
John

The Explorer will certainly show the four main moon's of Jupiter, and the Great Red Spot under good seeing conditions (dark sky, steady atmosphere). Saturn's rings will be a great sight as they open over the next couple of years, and you will be able to see four or even five of Saturn's moons as well. Don't expect too much of Mars, it is a notoriously difficult object to observe, because it is so small. You'll certainly be able to see it, but surface features may be difficult to distinguish.

It will be excellent on the Moon (kids love the Moon, so start with that), it will split many of the best double stars, and will show other objects like the Orion Nebula, star clusters, and the Andromeda Galaxy. It will be ideal for sweeping along the Milky Way.

If he shows interest, and wants to use the scope regularly, get him to keep a notebook or scrapbook of what he has seen. Include cut-out pictures from astronomy magazines and also his own drawings.

Also, get a copy of this month's "Astronomy Now" magazine, there is a 12 page section about getting started in astronomy. Ignore the suggested telescopes to buy, I think they are aiming a bit high, but there is a good section on things to observe.
Last edit: 13 years 4 months ago by stevie.

Time to create page: 0.118 seconds