K-Tec

The Perseids

More
16 years 9 months ago #49036 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: The Perseids
Radiant, the Greek mythological god of shooting stars. Legend has it that Zeus was having a birthday bash, around August 12 funnily enough, and called on Radiant to set off a fireworks display. However, the omnipotent god that Radiant is, he wasn't happy with just any auld fireworks display. No, he called on the comets to come forth and rain dust into the Earth's atmosphere. This set the sky alight with streaks of light, which were seen across the land. In acknowledgement of this achievement, Zeus placed Raidant as a constellation amongst the stars and still calls on him to work his wonders during August to this very day.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Frank Ryan
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
16 years 9 months ago #49042 by Frank Ryan
Replied by Frank Ryan on topic Re: The Perseids

Radiant, the Greek mythological god of shooting stars. Legend has it that Zeus was having a birthday bash, around August 12 funnily enough, and called on Radiant to set off a fireworks display. However, the omnipotent god that Radiant is, he wasn't happy with just any auld fireworks display. No, he called on the comets to come forth and rain dust into the Earth's atmosphere. This set the sky alight with streaks of light, which were seen across the land. In acknowledgement of this achievement, Zeus placed Raidant as a constellation amongst the stars and still calls on him to work his wonders during August to this very day.

Building Dob's.....Writing funnys.....
I think someone has a little too much time on thier hands...

:D

My Astrophotography
Shannonside Astronomy Club __________________________________________
Meade ETX-125PE, Bresser 10 x 50 Binos & Me Peepers

More
16 years 9 months ago #49043 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: The Perseids
It's withdrawal symptoms from clear skies I'm afraid....causes serious physiological effects on us amateur astronomers I'm afraid. :cry:

More
16 years 9 months ago #49064 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: The Perseids

The image in the other thread. It looks very much like there is another constellation called radiant. Perhaps changing the text and line colour would help indicate that its where the meteors appear to come from.

Fixed so! :)

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

• Frank Ryan
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
16 years 8 months ago #49463 by Frank Ryan
Replied by Frank Ryan on topic Re: The Perseids
Looks like he weather could settle for this....!?

My Astrophotography
Shannonside Astronomy Club __________________________________________
Meade ETX-125PE, Bresser 10 x 50 Binos & Me Peepers

More
16 years 8 months ago #49498 by madhatter93
Replied by madhatter93 on topic Re: The Perseids
Guys, I'm confused will the Perseid meteor shower be at its peak on Sat night or Sun night ?

Thanks
Madhatter

Moderators: Neill
Time to create page: 0.114 seconds