K-Tec

In the Shadow of the Earth - Feb 21st Lunar Eclipse

More
16 years 2 months ago #63969 by dave_lillis

Dave, DO prepare yourself for a starparty in Greece.

Well my Greek friends, this is something I look forward to !!
given the flights John has found, it has become a feasible trip!.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 2 months ago #63971 by ayiomamitis

Dave, DO prepare yourself for a starparty in Greece.

Well my Greek friends, this is something I look forward to !!
given the flights John has found, it has become a feasible trip!.

This is AWESOME!

You will be impressed by the shear physical beauty of our country and the dark skies atop some very impressive mountains.

It would be a real treat for our Irish friends to come to Greece for some great nights under very dark skies.

Vaggelis is in charge of star parties for our local club and he is the person to concult for any information, help, advice etc.

Is komrad Seanie Morrisovich interested in coming as well?

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

More
16 years 2 months ago #63973 by pj30something
Think i need to do some traveling. Greece sounds and looks great.

Great pictures from Greece guys.

I am not jealous i just hate you for being so blessed.

Paul C
My next scope is going to be a Vixen VMC200L Catadioptric OTA

More
16 years 2 months ago #63978 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: In the Shadow of the Earth - Feb 21st Lunar Eclipse

I am now sorting out some details with my club (EAE) and I 'll soon come back with more info (possible dates, arrangements, etc).
Vagelis.

Sounds good. Keep us informed. Would be great to head to clear sunny skies sometime.

More
16 years 2 months ago #63980 by Euronymous

With the new Shannon to Paris connection, flights to Athens are quite reasonable. I did a rough check for a May timeframe. Return flights from Shannon for €350- not bad.

John / Anthony- great shots !!

Very expensive. I just checked with Easyjet and you can fly to Nice in France for £59.99 each way (thats including taxes) from Belfast Intl on some random date I checked. I'm sure there are cheaper ones too. I always think flights more than about £70 for anywhere in Europe are way too expensive, can always get them cheaper. I fly with Ryanair or Easyjet very week or 2 weeks and refuse to pay high prices for the simple service they provide at the end of the day. The highest was when I paid £100 to fly back from Paris the next day, but that was because I had just spent 37 hours hitchhiking there and had to catch a plane to austria 2 days later.

I'd love to go to Athens or somewhere like that for astronomy. Austria's clear skies would be amazing if it wasn't for the fact that the mountains block out most of the view. But the sky you can see is the best sky I have seen in my life. Heres a daytime photo I took last year (low quality as its compressed):

Celestron C8-N (200mm reflector)
Carl Zeiss 10x50's
-Amateur Astronomer, photographer, guitarist, and beer drinker-

More
16 years 2 months ago #63982 by johnomahony

With the new Shannon to Paris connection, flights to Athens are quite reasonable. I did a rough check for a May timeframe. Return flights from Shannon for €350- not bad.

John / Anthony- great shots !!

Very expensive. I just checked with Easyjet and you can fly to Nice in France for £59.99 each way (thats including taxes) from Belfast Intl on some random date I checked. I'm sure there are cheaper ones too. I always think flights more than about £70 for anywhere in Europe are way too expensive, can always get them cheaper. I fly with Ryanair or Easyjet very week or 2 weeks and refuse to pay high prices for the simple service they provide at the end of the day. The highest was when I paid £100 to fly back from Paris the next day, but that was because I had just spent 37 hours hitchhiking there and had to catch a plane to austria 2 days later.

Nice shot!
The €350 Euro is for Shannon-Paris-Athens return. You can get it for €300 if you are prepared to stay a night in Paris. Thats only €150 each way on Air France with your bags and gear checked through to your final destination. The cheapest flight into Stansted from Shannon on Ryanair is about €60 when the taxes are added (and all the hassle of extra and awkward bags)
I use Ryanair, easyjet, airberlin on most of my European business trips through Stansted but I will give CDG a look now that there is a direct connection. I'd still be hard pressed to get 4.30 hours of flight time for €150 on low cost carriers.

The Lord giveth, the Revenue taketh away. (John 1:16)

www.flickr.com/photos/7703127@N07/

Moderators: Neill
Time to create page: 0.118 seconds