K-Tec

Total Solar Eclipse 2009

More
15 years 1 week ago - 15 years 1 week ago #77894 by ayiomamitis
Replied by ayiomamitis on topic Re: Total Solar Eclipse 2009
ayiomamitis wrote:

Hi all,

No problem Anthony using those links. Will you be in Shanghai for the 2009 event?

Hi John,

First indications at the moment do indeed point at Shanghai. To be honest, my primary interest is the eclipse itself and without any extended stays for tourism etc. As a result, various packages available each year for a given eclipse are always out of the question since I cannot be away from home for an extended period of time.

I also checked the ORBITZ site you referred to in another message in this thread and pricing for us in Athens is similar to your quotation of approximately $1350 and which includes taxes. This time next year the USD should be trading at 2:1 against the euro and which will make our costs quite similar to those for Novo in a few months. :D

John et al,

I have changed my plans and I will be pursuing the eclipse from Hangzhou, 180-km southwest of Shanghai, thanks to an invitation from Jay Pasachoff.

I will be leaving Athens on Saturday July 18th with arrival into Shanghai midday Sunday with my return flight for Athens being on Thurs. July 23rd.

I will be staying at the Holiday Inn Hangzhou. If any friends from IFAS make it through Hangzhou, please send me email so that we can meet.

Prices for both airline tickets and hotel accomodation have dropped and the cost of this trip will be less than what it was for Novosibirsk.

Clear skies!

Anthony.

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr
Last edit: 15 years 1 week ago by ayiomamitis.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 1 week ago #77898 by Frank Ryan
Replied by Frank Ryan on topic Re: Total Solar Eclipse 2009

Prices for both airline tickets and hotel accomodation have dropped and the cost of this trip will be less than what it was for Novosibirsk.

: blink:
First I was a day away from booking the boat.
Then I got some news that made me think it was not
possible to go.
Now I'm thinking..
They still have cabins left...
Hmmmmmmmm....
:huh:

My Astrophotography
Shannonside Astronomy Club __________________________________________
Meade ETX-125PE, Bresser 10 x 50 Binos & Me Peepers

More
15 years 1 week ago - 15 years 1 week ago #77902 by ayiomamitis
Replied by ayiomamitis on topic Re: Total Solar Eclipse 2009
Hi Frank,

Please remember that we have a couple of eclipses next year (annular in January and total in July) and followed by a little "problem" in 2011 where we are NOT privy to a total solar eclipse.

The euro has worked against us the past nine months but we still have a 30% premium to our advantage (the 50-60% last summer was damn nice!).

Accommodation in China is dirt cheap and in contrast to Novosibirsk where tour operators locked up all of the limited rooms available on purpose for gauging thereafter.

Anthony.

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr
Last edit: 15 years 1 week ago by ayiomamitis.

Moderators: Neill
Time to create page: 0.104 seconds