K-Tec

Total Solar Eclipse 2009

More
16 years 1 month ago #64897 by nectarine
Replied by nectarine on topic Re: Total Solar Eclipse 2009
Re: above post. I was referring to the Cruise trip, as I didn't make that clear :oops:

Bernie Foley
IFAS Treasurer

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• johnflannery
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
16 years 1 month ago #64900 by johnflannery
Replied by johnflannery on topic Re: Total Solar Eclipse 2009
Hi Bernie,

One of the best long-haul pricing sites I regularly use is www.orbitz.com ... sometimes though you can get slightly cheaper if you subsequently go directly into the airline's own web site when you spot a good price on Orbitz.

Best price for flights to Beijing using Orbitz is $1350 (taking 2008 as the travel period). The route is Dublin-Paris then Paris-Bejing (actually, a shorter journey time than Dublin-L.A.!)

California is 8 hours behind us.

All the best and have the sun factor ready 8-)

John

More
16 years 1 month ago #64916 by ayiomamitis
Replied by ayiomamitis on topic Re: Total Solar Eclipse 2009

Hi all,

No problem Anthony using those links. Will you be in Shanghai for the 2009 event?

Hi John,

First indications at the moment do indeed point at Shanghai. To be honest, my primary interest is the eclipse itself and without any extended stays for tourism etc. As a result, various packages available each year for a given eclipse are always out of the question since I cannot be away from home for an extended period of time.

I also checked the ORBITZ site you referred to in another message in this thread and pricing for us in Athens is similar to your quotation of approximately $1350 and which includes taxes. This time next year the USD should be trading at 2:1 against the euro and which will make our costs quite similar to those for Novo in a few months. :D

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

More
16 years 1 month ago #65044 by nectarine
Replied by nectarine on topic Re: Total Solar Eclipse 2009
Well, I've just reserved a cabin for the Cruise trip! Am all excited now but it's a bit of a jolt back to the real world when I realise I've to wait over a year for this trip.....
If anyone is considering this & you are a solo traveller, they have a facility to hook you up with someone to share a room with, which is what I've gone for.
Thanks John, for putting this info up as you saved me doing the research..... :)

Bernie Foley
IFAS Treasurer

• johnflannery
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
16 years 1 month ago #65045 by johnflannery
Replied by johnflannery on topic Re: Total Solar Eclipse 2009
Welcome on board Bernie! Good to see that you will make the trip.

You'll be surprised how the time will fly in and we are on the way to the track of totality.

Jay Anderson's eclipse weather page is at home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~jander/

More
15 years 11 months ago #68348 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Total Solar Eclipse 2009
There's another website offering eclipse tours for the July 29th 2009 one. I don't know anything about it, but you can read more about it on www.eclipseofthecentury.com offering cruises.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Moderators: Neill
Time to create page: 0.113 seconds