K-Tec

August Entries - Time to judge for a winner (2013)

Poll: August's Entries: Saturn (was ended 0000-00-00 00:00:00)

Saturn Photo #1
1 2.8%
Saturn Photo #2
9 25%
Saturn Photo #3
8 22.2%
Saturn Photo #4
5 13.9%
Saturn Photo #5
2 5.6%
Saturn Photo #6
11 30.6%
Total number of voters: 36
Only registered users can participate to this poll
More
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #98826 by StephenK
Cracking pictures guys, I do have my favourite(s) B)

Some real crystal clear shots.

We are delighted to have been a part of Augusts competition :rock:

Stephen.

Stephen Kershaw
Ktec Telescopes Ltd
085 - 228 8692
sales@ktectelescopes.ie
www.ktectelescopes.ie
www.facebook.com/ktectelescopes
www.twitter.com/ktectelescopes
Last edit: 10 years 6 months ago by StephenK.
The topic has been locked.
More
10 years 6 months ago #98830 by dave_lillis
I'll second that, it was good to be a part of the August competition.

About the comments on the images, I'm of the opinion that there should be no equipment description with any of the images, the equipment description can give away who the imager is.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor
More
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #98831 by yohan

Dave_Lillis wrote: About the comments on the images, I'm of the opinion that there should be no equipment description with any of the images, the equipment description can give away who the imager is.

The equipment is very important imo. Its important this does not turn into a competition where the equipment takes over - by knowing the equipment used the voter can make a decision as to efforts and so on. I like the competition the way it is. I do think there should be a limit for age of the shots however, no more than 6 months old or something.
Last edit: 10 years 6 months ago by yohan.
More
10 years 6 months ago #98832 by martinus

yohan wrote:

Dave_Lillis wrote: About the comments on the images, I'm of the opinion that there should be no equipment description with any of the images, the equipment description can give away who the imager is.

The equipment is very important imo. Its important this does not turn into a competition where the equipment takes over - by knowing the equipment used the voter can make a decision as to efforts and so on. I like the competition the way it is. I do think there should be a limit for age of the shots however, no more than 6 months old or something.

I agree with the former point, yohan - I think that some knowledge of the equipment allows one to see where someone used their skills to get great results from modest equipment and judge that image against one that was taken with high-end equipment. In a sense it better reflects the skill (or lack of in my case! ;) ) of the photographer.

I do appreciate however that most of us who have been here a while can match an equipment description to a person. Everyone has friends that they like to do well but the community is pretty supportive of all-comers so I think it's reasonable to assume that votes will be made based on the subjective assessment of both technical and artistic ability.

As for the latter point, I'm rather relieved - as a person who doesn't get much time under the stars due to the hassles of 'real life' - that I can submit an image I took a while back. I think Seanie's approach here is pretty much ideal.
  • Seanie_Morris
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #98833 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: August Entries - Time to judge for a winner (2013)
Thanks for the feedback guys, it is ALWAYS appreciated and taken onboard, don't hold back!

Martinus, I apologise if you feel I shortchanged your entry by editing the description, it would never be my intention (I know you know that!). Yours was not the only description/caption edited either, just so you know - it's mainly for the purposes of the scan of entries being quick and dirty, so the reader gets as much info sinking in quickly before casting their vote. :)

I will take what you said onboard for future competitions.

Seanie. :grouphug:

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.
Last edit: 10 years 6 months ago by Seanie_Morris.
The following user(s) said Thank You: martinus
More
10 years 6 months ago #98834 by martinus
Not feeling short-changed at all, Seanie. No apology necessary. :)

I just wanted to frame the image in terms of what it meant to me (it just appears as an odd combination of rather poor images, otherwise). :laugh:

None of my images are up to the calibre of the amazing work I've seen from people with more modest equipment than mine but I figure that the competition pushes me to improve so entering is a worthwhile endeavour. If nothing else it's likely that I'll get good advice on how to get the best from the equipment.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Seanie_Morris
Time to create page: 0.110 seconds