K-Tec

Noctilucent clouds NOW, July12, 23.41

More
17 years 9 months ago #30540 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Noctilucent clouds NOW, July12, 23.41
Saw them from here last night oo, spread across a good distance along that entire horizon. Was at one of my future brother-in-law's house and his wife's place last night at the time. They have never seen 'cloud's like that before, and were quite taken aback!

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 9 months ago #30565 by Keith g
Replied by Keith g on topic Re:
Lovely sight last night, this was taken from my backyard at 23.48pm...
Keith..

s56.photobucket.com/albums/g172/Keithg1_...amp;imgAnch=imgAnch1

More
17 years 9 months ago #30586 by JohnMurphy
Replied by JohnMurphy on topic Re: Noctilucent clouds NOW, July12, 23.41
Lovely image.
Seems to be a regular occurrence, or maybe were just more attuned to this phenomenon. I've been spotting NLCs regularly.

Clear Skies,
John Murphy
Irish Astronomical Society
Check out My Photos

More
17 years 9 months ago #30587 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Noctilucent clouds NOW, July12, 23.41

Lovely image.
Seems to be a regular occurrence, or maybe were just more attuned to this phenomenon. I've been spotting NLCs regularly.

John, what has helped is the number of clear sunny days we have had, believe it or not! This has been a terrific summer so far, and this has helped us in noticing more NLC's that otherwise simply would not be seen when there are less sunny days (thus, cloudy nights).

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
17 years 9 months ago #30593 by JohnMurphy
Replied by JohnMurphy on topic Re: Noctilucent clouds NOW, July12, 23.41
Seanie,

Very true!!
Also it was not something I was much aware of until members of this site brought it to (my) attention. Now I'm looking out for it more.
One of the things I found interesting though was that most of the sound bites I've read about NLCs indicate that they are hard to spot and that averted vision and or long exposure shots are needed to see them. I have not found this to be the case. I know what I'm seeing are definitely NLCs, its too dark to see the normal cloud, and the shape/pattern and luminesence all looks correct. I reckon a lot is as you say down to the ideal NLC weather we've been having.

Clear Skies,
John Murphy
Irish Astronomical Society
Check out My Photos

More
17 years 9 months ago #30594 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: Noctilucent clouds NOW, July12, 23.41
If it wasn't for these boards I doubt I'd ever have seen NLCs. I have to go out of my way to find a clear northern horizon that isn't blocked by trees and hills and I just didn't bother till I started seeing the reports and pictures here!

Bart.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

Time to create page: 0.103 seconds