K-Tec

Irish Astronomer Dave Grennan nets his 3rd supernova

More
9 years 11 months ago #100659 by albertw
Congratulations again Dave! And thanks for letting me be probably the 2nd person on the planet to see this!

I was at home on Good Friday, too tired to go up to the observatory, just messing about on facebook, when I noticed Dave say he was doing his supernova search. A little while later there was a cryptic post from him. About 5 minutes after that I was in the car rushing to the observatory to get some images!

Chatting online knowing that you are probably the only two humans seeing this supernova is quite a humbling experience. But also very exciting, and I got a great feel for what it must be like to make such a discovery! Dave was busy checking his images, getting the data just right, and repeatedly checking that no-one else has posted the discovery, before finally sending the email to the IAU. And despite all that work and excitement he still made time to help me get an email to the relevant people in the correct format to report a follow up observation.

So congratulations again and thanks for giving me one of the most memorable night's I've had at a telescope yet!

Heres my follow up image btw:

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/
The following user(s) said Thank You: michaeloconnell, michael_murphy, wbean

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 11 months ago - 9 years 11 months ago #100660 by wbean
Ooh I enjoyed reading that! Very exciting! Thanks for sharing the story and the follow up image.

www.skelligstarparty.com
Live each week like it's space week!

OTA: WO 72mm Megrez, Skymax 127
Mount: HEQ5 Pro w/ EQMOD

BLOG: astronomybox.blogspot.com/
Last edit: 9 years 11 months ago by wbean.

More
9 years 11 months ago #100661 by eansbro
Congratulations Dave, very well deserved with all your efforts.

Eamonn
www.kingslandobservatory.com

More
9 years 10 months ago #100866 by michael_murphy
Replied by michael_murphy on topic Irish Astronomer Dave Grennan nets his 3rd supernova
Dave,

In case you don't know, there is an article about this in the June BAA journal.

Michael.

Time to create page: 0.110 seconds