Discussion on THAT thread

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
19 years 5 months ago #6555 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re: Discussion on THAT thread
Many interesting thoughts posted IMHO.

First of all, I just want to be very clear about where I am coming from. I am an AI member. I am not connected with A&S in any way, neither am I a member of AI's committee. I'm just an amateur like you guys who happens to be a member of AI Back in the 90's I held the roles of both treasurer and Vice chairman of AI. That ended many years ago.

I wont go into individual posts as all of you raise really interesting points and I really dont want to get into a point scoring exercise.

Just one or two things.

To Brian Seales: If my post offended you or anyone else in anyway, then I am truly sorry. That was never my intention.

Albert White: I too am really interested in what we can do about LP. I'd love to have a chat with you about that.

I dont know the membership figures of AI (Honestly). All I can say is its not 5 or 6 hundred like Seanie suggests its certainly in the thousands.

I suppose my feelings on the whole subject can be summed up in a few lines.

All of this wrangling and polictical overtones is ruining the efforts of many good decent amateurs whos only agenda is to promote astronomy. These are people in your local clubs, in AI, and those of us who really dont care about affilliations at all. What I am really driving at is that I feel we as a community need to start putting astronomy first instead of all of this bad feeling. Look at it this way, A&S/AI/Dm does its thing. If they werent about your club would still be there, Irish amateurs would still meet up and do our thing. You dont have to like what A&S does you have the choice not to support it. The fact remains that many people do decide to support it and thats their choice too. What I was really driving at is that all of the effort you put into astronomy is being sullied by all of this. It *really* has to stop. DM/AI/A&S is not going to go away. Maybe by building some bridges everyone can benefit?

My Best Wishes and Clear Skies.

David.

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 5 months ago #6556 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: Discussion on THAT thread
YAWN!
We've been through this discussion soooo many times now.
The link Al gave earlier should make things reasonably clear.
Whether you love or hate AI/A&S/DM, they were there yesterday and today and will most certainly be around tomorrow. So, get over it.
(I've made my views on this lot fairly clear before i.e. I definetly do not approve of the way they operate. However, they do not need my approval.)
So, with that in mind, can we try and focus on astronomy-the science and not astronomy-the world of politics, arguing etc. etc.

So, to get back on track, has anyone started the observing challanges yet?

More
19 years 5 months ago #6559 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: Discussion on THAT thread

So, to get back on track, has anyone started the observing challanges yet?

Does the binoucular one with the ETX count?

Since I cant win the prizes I figured I might as well cheat!

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
19 years 5 months ago #6564 by spaceboy
Replied by spaceboy on topic Re: Discussion on THAT thread

Spaceboy,
I find your reaction to the photos to be a little bit strange. I do not understand what was offensive about the photos, except, you are an employee of AI and feel the alleged offense to be personal.

To have to resort to the legal system for something like this is a bit over the top. Whilst you are entitled to be offended about anything you please, can you explain why you found this thread so offensive as your post does not fully explain it. It may prevent further offending posts.
With respect
Clear Skies and Regards
Peter

Ok Peter here's my reply. Firstly I am NOT an employee of AI. I'm employed by the OPW as a Museum Curator. Astronomy is just a hobby for me, I don't observe every clear night, just when I get the odd chance to do so.

Secondly I did not Threaten Legalities, I simply pointed out that I would be talking to my solicitor about this and other postings that have been made.

Thirdly I pointed out why I took offence at the A&S magazine been accociated with Hitler in the original thread. Let me add to that now by saying that I lost relatives in WW2 because of Hitler and his Nazi stooges. One was killed in a commando raid in Norway, five were killed in a Luftwaffe bombing raid on Birmingham and two died on the beach at Dunkirk. That is one of the reasons why I found this posting offensive.

Now back to other things. There is Astronomy to do. At the moment I'm building an observatory at home in Meath and would like some advice about the pillar for the mount. I know some people who have done this and have filled the pillar with sand to cut down on the vibrations, does anybody know what kind of sand would be best? I.E coarse or fine, wet or dry?

Yours,

Spaceboy

More
19 years 5 months ago #6565 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: Discussion on THAT thread

Secondly I did not Threaten Legalities, I simply pointed out that I would be talking to my solicitor about this and other postings that have been made.

As the webmaster for this site the ONLY way I can interpret this is as a threat of legal action.

Now back to other things. There is Astronomy to do. At the moment I'm building an observatory at home in Meath and would like some advice about the pillar for the mount. I know some people who have done this and have filled the pillar with sand to cut down on the vibrations, does anybody know what kind of sand would be best? I.E coarse or fine, wet or dry?

This thread is not the place for this discussion. Can you please start a new thread on this topic on an appropriate board.

Thanks,

Bart.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

More
19 years 5 months ago #6567 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: Discussion on THAT thread

This thread is not the place for this discussion. Can you please start a new thread on this topic on an appropriate board.

Started at www.irishastronomy.org/boards/viewtopic.php?t=1261

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

Time to create page: 0.111 seconds