K-Tec

Aussie green laser pointer ban

More
16 years 5 days ago #67407 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: Aussie green laser pointer ban

Just how far does the beam reach?

5mw green laser can put a 'dot' on the ringsend chimeys from Sandymount. Granted a large and low intensity 'dot'. It would appear obvious to a pilot if it was shone into the cockpit on approach. Doubt it would have any damage at that distance to their sight, but it might distract them; whether it would distract them more than the bad lighting around the airport is another matter.

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 4 days ago #67437 by pj30something
Replied by pj30something on topic Re: Aussie green laser pointer ban
5mw green laser can put a 'dot' on the ringsend chimeys from Sandymount.

That's a fair old range.

Paul C
My next scope is going to be a Vixen VMC200L Catadioptric OTA

More
16 years 4 days ago #67472 by kevinb
Replied by kevinb on topic Re: Aussie green laser pointer ban
Personally, I think this ban is a good idea. I have become increasingly alarmed at the Whirlpool in Birr over the last couple of years, where I have seen several people waving powerful green lasers at head height at the observing session at the Castle. I have discussed this at the event and I know I am not alone.
It is now quite possible to buy a Class IIIb pointer, which could damage your eye if your blink reflex is compromised.
Given the consequences of an accident for an individual enjoying a visual hobby like astronomy, I think restricting pointer sales to harmless Class I red lasers is a good idea. Of course, most people are responsible, but some aren't. That is why you can't buy an AK47 at Tescos.
I am now putting on my flame proof suit :D
Kevin

More
16 years 4 days ago #67474 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Aussie green laser pointer ban
PJ,
When you see one of these lasers working at night time then you'll know where they are coming from, these things are extremely bright if pointed at anything nearby.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
16 years 4 days ago #67475 by pj30something
Replied by pj30something on topic Re: Aussie green laser pointer ban
That is why you can't buy an AK47 at Tescos.

I always wondered why they didnt sell them there.

Paul C
My next scope is going to be a Vixen VMC200L Catadioptric OTA

More
16 years 3 days ago #67486 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: Aussie green laser pointer ban

Personally, I think this ban is a good idea. I have become increasingly alarmed at the Whirlpool in Birr over the last couple of years, where I have seen several people waving powerful green lasers at head height at the observing session at the Castle.

Did you mention it to whoever was holding the laser?

The only people a ban will affect are the astronomers who are out doing outreach. If people want them as toys or to point at planes they will just get them from ebay as usual and not show them in public. Of course for real fun you use old CD drives :-) www.metacafe.com/watch/756433/laser_flashlight_hack/

Anthony, 5mw is ok for urban skies once you have some dark adaption and there are no bright lights nearby. I've had mine for some years now and I'm not sure of the current prices. The units are pen sized and mine takes 2 AAA batteries, so there would be no need for a power pack really, but you could power it off the 3v outlet if needed.

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

Time to create page: 0.113 seconds