K-Tec

Aussie green laser pointer ban

More
16 years 1 week ago #67210 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: Aussie green laser pointer ban

The Victorian Government has already banned green laser pointers over 1mw unless you apply for a permit, costing $180, much more than the price of the green laser pointer itself. It's likely that other states in Australia will follow suit, if they haven't already.

An exception should be made for amateur astronomers. $180 is too much for a license. An exception could easily have been arranged whereby a token fee would be charged and requiring a letter of recommendation. If the fee was $20 people might actually get a license...

You appreciate 30mw if you use them in cities to get around the light pollution and lack of dark adaption at sidewalk type events. You can `get away` with 5mw, thats all I have anyway!

It is already illegal everywhere to interfere with aircraft and people can be prosecuted under that law for pointing a laser at a plane. So I'm not sure of the point of this law. Seems a bit like banning knives eventhough its already illegal to stab someone.

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 1 week ago #67229 by TrevorDurity
Replied by TrevorDurity on topic Re: Aussie green laser pointer ban
It will probably get worse after this happened over Sidney last week.

www.theregister.co.uk/2008/04/24/sydney_son_et_lumiere/

More
16 years 1 week ago #67249 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: Aussie green laser pointer ban

It will probably get worse after this happened over Sidney last week.

www.theregister.co.uk/2008/04/24/sydney_son_et_lumiere/

Jeebus ... that's terrible. When you see crap like this you can understand the need for legislation. However, I think the Ozzies have gone too far.

Bart.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

More
16 years 1 week ago #67255 by ayiomamitis
Replied by ayiomamitis on topic Re: Aussie green laser pointer ban
Guys,

I am also thinking of getting such a unit. Can I get a suggested model (mW) for sub-urban skies and a representative price? Also, can these lasers be powered by the typical LIDL 12v batteries which have outlets for 3v, 6v, 9v and 12v? I have read somewhere that they can take up to 3v and it would be nice to use such rechargeable batteries.

Thanks!

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

More
16 years 5 days ago #67384 by pj30something
Replied by pj30something on topic Re: Aussie green laser pointer ban
I've read about these green laser pens and dont understand the problem.

Just how far does the beam reach?

If i was using one at ground level and showing someone where a star or planet was...............SURELY it would not reach that far.

I'm THINKING the beam reaches 30,000 ft.........which is why airline companies are complaining about them.

I have a laser pen keyring i bought in the Canarie's and it has a range of about 1/2 a mile.

I'm thinking i will buy a green laser pointer so i can piss off cats.......about 3 miles away...........................JUST FOR FUN.

Paul C
My next scope is going to be a Vixen VMC200L Catadioptric OTA

More
16 years 5 days ago #67405 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: Aussie green laser pointer ban
The problem is really only for planes coming into land and for helicopters. The green laser pens used by astronomers are lot more powerful than the regular red ones you'd use for a powerpoint presentation etc.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

Time to create page: 0.111 seconds