K-Tec

Aussie green laser pointer ban

More
16 years 4 days ago #67487 by pj30something
Replied by pj30something on topic Re: Aussie green laser pointer ban
The only people a ban will affect are the astronomers who are out doing outreach.

That's true. I cant think of anyone else would have a need for one.

Paul C
My next scope is going to be a Vixen VMC200L Catadioptric OTA

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 3 days ago #67495 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: Aussie green laser pointer ban

Personally, I think this ban is a good idea. I have become increasingly alarmed at the Whirlpool in Birr over the last couple of years, where I have seen several people waving powerful green lasers at head height at the observing session at the Castle. I have discussed this at the event and I know I am not alone.
It is now quite possible to buy a Class IIIb pointer, which could damage your eye if your blink reflex is compromised.
Given the consequences of an accident for an individual enjoying a visual hobby like astronomy, I think restricting pointer sales to harmless Class I red lasers is a good idea. Of course, most people are responsible, but some aren't. That is why you can't buy an AK47 at Tescos.
I am now putting on my flame proof suit :D
Kevin

To me that's an argument for banning hammers, and chainsaws and just about every tool really. In fact, it's an argument for banning cars because some people drive really dangerously.

License them perhaps but they are exceptionally useful tools and a bunch of immature tools should not prevent those of us with a brain from using them.

Bart.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

More
16 years 2 hours ago #67613 by pj30something
License them perhaps

That's about the only solution. License them to only people who have a valid membership to an astronomy club or people in the teaching profession.

If that is even possible.

My other hobby is archery. I have both a crossbow and a 6 ft long recurve bow. I have to have the croosbow licensed because it is considered a consealable weapon......................whereas the recurve can not be consealed therefor does not need a license.

From what i am reading about these green lasers................they ARE dangerous AND consealable........................therefor they should under the same government act be licensed.

Paul C

More
16 years 1 hour ago #67627 by JohnMurphy
Replied by JohnMurphy on topic Re: Aussie green laser pointer ban
I am probably goin' to P$%^ some people off, but it needs to be said.

Most of the "abuse" of laser pointers I've seen has come from supposed astronomers. I've seen them pointed close to aircraft flight paths, I've seen them overused at star parties where they are usually not needed (as most other people there are also astronomers), and they are irritating to dark adapted eyes as they "broadcast" in green where the eye is probably most sensitive.
The only place for a green laser pointer is at a public outreach (Full Stop). Other than that ban 'em.

Clear Skies,
John Murphy
Irish Astronomical Society
Check out My Photos

More
16 years 1 hour ago #67630 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: Aussie green laser pointer ban

From what i am reading about these green lasers................they ARE dangerous AND consealable........................therefor they should under the same government act be licensed.

so are hammers. And if they are licenced the only people who will have get licences are carpenters. It wont matter one bit to anyone else who wants a hammer.

As for star parties - please can we ban cars first?

And telescopes! Did you realise that when pointed at the sun without a solar filter they can BLIND YOU INSTANTLY!!! Ban them now! The government protect us! :-) Or should we only ban what we personally don't like.

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
16 years 1 hour ago #67631 by pj30something
so are hammers. And if they are licenced the only people who will have get licences are carpenters

That's true. WHERE do you draw the line?

Can a line be drawn?

Paul C

Time to create page: 0.107 seconds