K-Tec

What area does each club cover?

More
20 years 5 months ago #1108 by ctr
Replied by ctr on topic Re: What area does each club cover?
Hi all,

I went along to the Waterford AI "opening night" and if other lectures are arranged will go to them as well. Yes I am member of AI but have already decided not to renew, I may subscribe to Astronomy Now? But since I went looking to buy a scope my eyes were opened.......How come there is such a difference in prices between Ireland and the UK? There is no answer is there? other than we charge what we can get away with, not a nice way to treat you members. So my love affair with AI ended. I bought second hand in Buy & Sell and got a deal I'm happy with. Buy the way the 3000 Waterford members are very quiet as nothing has happened since.

Two colleagues and I set up a club in work in May, Bausch & Lomb Astronomy Society (BLAS) which is still going strong ,about 15 Members but everyone a novice. We have our meetings and we give lectures but there is a weakness on observing. Our first night out is planned for Monday nights Meteor shower, Weather premitting. So from little acorns grow ......etc.

I will contact the Wexford Club and I would also like to thank the IFAS member who contacted me for his offer of help, I will take you up on the offer and will contact you next week (on wrong shift now).

ps I will print off Arcturus and post in our notice board in work and pass on the good news about this site.

Conor :D

Each of us is here on earth for a reason, and each of us has a special mission to carry out - Maria Shriver

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 years 5 months ago #1110 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: What area does each club cover?

[Can we get posters for all the clubs to put up?

I made up the ifasweb.pdf poster a little while ago as a flier to hand out. Its definatly more of a flyer rather than a poster.

Two colleagues and I set up a club in work in May, Bausch & Lomb Astronomy Society (BLAS) which is still going strong ,about 15 Members but everyone a novice.

Another club to affiliate to the IFAS perhaps ;-)

ps I will print off Arcturus and post in our notice board in work and pass on the good news about this site.

The few that I left around the coffee areas here have disappeared already (and no it wasn't the cleaners!)

Cheers,
~Al

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
20 years 5 months ago #1111 by ctr
Whats involved in affiliation?

Any support that can be got by affiliation would be most welcome.

Conor

Each of us is here on earth for a reason, and each of us has a special mission to carry out - Maria Shriver

More
20 years 5 months ago #1114 by stepryan
Replied by stepryan on topic Re: What area does each club cover?
to quote article 3 of the constitution:-
Article 3: Membership

* Membership shall be open to amateur astronomical societies in the island of Ireland which are governed by a democratically elected council or committee, subject to the approval of the Council. For the purposes of the Federation, Societies includes Clubs and Associations.
* Applications for membership shall be submitted in writing, giving the details which may be requested, to the Council of the Federation for approval.

if you email david bell using his email address is in the committee list he will be able to help you or any one else on the committee for that matter.
stephen.

More
20 years 5 months ago #1129 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic to answer the original question...
To answer the original question, Shannonside have members in Limerick, Clare, Tip, Kerry, Cork and even as far a field as Kilkenny, but anyone from anywhere is welcome.

I dont like to think of ourselves as been in direct competition with the Cork club, afterall we are all part of IFAS and if someone did come to our club meeting from Mallow for example, and somehow didn't know about the Cork club, I wouldn't hide it from them.

If I lived in between Cork and Limerick cities, I'd join both clubs, double the talks, double the observing sessions, get the best of both worlds.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
20 years 5 months ago #1134 by ctr
Thanks Stephan ..I've done that and subject to our members and IFAS committee approval our name may appear in starlight yet .

Now bring on the Leonids

Conor

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds