K-Tec

What area does each club cover?

More
20 years 5 months ago #1094 by johnflannery
Replied by johnflannery on topic Re: What area does each club cover?
hi Al,

you must think I'm lurking on your heels :wink:

I've uploaded the current Arcturus to the files section (under 'Resources') of the site. Must get more organised to do so on time in future :oops:

there is actually a club starting up in Waterford btw. They contacted David Bell and apparently were interested in affiliating to IFAS but the last I heard, David Moore was giving a talk in Waterford City and launching a Waterford branch of Astronomy Ireland. It'd be worth contacting A.I. in Dublin to see what's the state of play.

I'm not actually endorsing Astronomy Ireland though for impartiality -- the South Dublin club were refused a stand at the forthcoming Astro Expo. Apparently, we are a threat to their membership (although we've no membership fees or overheads and are a relatively small localised club). Still, it's their event and they are entitled to turn down who they want but it does leave one a little saddened by the current state of affairs in Irish amateur astronomy.

David Bell, as Al was saying, will be able to fill you in on the Slaneyside group and the Waterford contacts he had originally.

hope you manage to get in contact with fellow sky enthuasists in the locality,

John F.
SDAS

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 years 5 months ago #1098 by Janet
Replied by Janet on topic Re: What area does each club cover?

-- the South Dublin club were refused a stand at the forthcoming Astro Expo. Apparently, we are a threat to their membership (although we've no membership fees or overheads and are a relatively small localised club)

That's awful, that's not doing anybody any favours. Apart from the obvious...

More
20 years 5 months ago #1102 by ei5fk
Grrrrrrrr
Typical, this is what makes me angry
the dirty side of moneymaking astronomy in Ireland
Charles

More
20 years 5 months ago #1103 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: What area does each club cover?

there is actually a club starting up in Waterford btw. They contacted David Bell and apparently were interested in affiliating to IFAS but the last I heard, David Moore was giving a talk in Waterford City and launching a Waterford branch of Astronomy Ireland. It'd be worth contacting A.I. in Dublin to see what's the state of play.

I dont think contacting A&S will be of use. The waterford branch probably has a goot 3000 members by now all armed with Celestron telescopes ;-)

Even if they do affiliate to A&S (why anyone would is beyond me!), they can still presumably affiliate to the IFAS once they act in accordance with the constitution.

Cheers,
~Al

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
20 years 5 months ago #1104 by ei5fk
Replied by ei5fk on topic Confused here Al
Al is that 3000 members present or since the club began in Waterford :-)
Ok so im being smart!!
Look forward to getting a few lads from the south east up here
Chas

More
20 years 5 months ago #1107 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: What area does each club cover?

-- the South Dublin club were refused a stand at the forthcoming Astro Expo. Apparently, we are a threat to their membership (although we've no membership fees or overheads and are a relatively small localised club)

That's awful, that's not doing anybody any favours. Apart from the obvious...

Sorry to hear about that John F. And you're right Janet, its almost sounding like Mr. Moore is trying to monopolise the amateur crowd in Ireland. Become the 'Bill Gates' of astronomy...
Bart, regarding your open letter to AI, I don't think its 'strong' enough! :wink:
I'm sorry folks, but, in my opinion, is this topic wearing thin a bit?? I don't want to spoil any ones party, but maybe this would DEFINITELY be the chance of IFAS to REALLY promote the Irish interest in Astronomy, and stop whinging about AI. I know we have WSP, COSMOS, and now Galway's own Star Party coming up (good luck lads) to do their bits. But IFAS is web based. Clubs need to promote it a bit more. Can we get posters for all the clubs to put up? Visiting lecturers put 'IFAS' as well as their home club after their name? Radio spots? Individual Observing nights etc with IFAS a hidden theme? I put a spot for IFAS in all the Réalta's in TAS, for example.
Now, I don't mean to sound like we need to start a revolution! Just, stop bitching about it, and do something positive about it.
I apologise in advance if anyone takes offence in what I have written here, but, like most of you, I feel strongly about this issue. When I was 12 (don't mean to boast), I gave a lecture at WSP, a year after Mr. Moore left IAS. At the dinner on that Saturday night, I had to listen to him, as he sat beside me, trying to coax me into bringing TAS and/or its Junior Section into AI. I couldn't stand him. I am sorry if Mr. Moore ever see's this, but its no way to religiously try and setup something by using vulnerability.

Again, I apologise if my words are a bit harsh or offensive.

A penny for my thoughts? :oops:

Regards,

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds