IFAS web linkage

• spculleton
  • Topic Author
  • Super-Nova
  • Super-Nova
More
20 years 5 months ago #1314 by spculleton
Replied by spculleton on topic Re: IFAS web linkage
Wow! That certainly turned into a hot topic, didn't it! Just one little supplementary point I wanted to make:

Let's be honest. Nobody logs on to the Tullamore Astronomy Society page (for example) 'cos they want to find links to astronomy in Cork, Birr, Limerick or indeed Dublin. They log on because they want to make contact with like-minded people in the same area. Putting irishastronomy.org in with the links page is demoting this site away from its important position. The IFAS site provides a service for all Irish astronomers, principally through the bulletin board, and this should be shown off to prospective members right from the word go. Putting the IFAS logo and a link to this site on the homepage, can only make your site more attractive.

I don't mean to offend anyone or to demean the work done by some very dedicated astronomers on their society or club websites. I have great admiration for the effort put in by people here. Nor is it my place to tell anyone what to do with their sites. Just a suggestion regarding something which I feel may be of mutual benefit.

Keep up the good work lads!

Shane Culleton.

Dozo Yoroshiku Onegai Shimasu

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 years 5 months ago #1316 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: IFAS web linkage
Hi Shane,
no offense taken! (for TAS... Grrr... :x )
No, its a good point, but unfortuantely, I don't think many will see it that way. For example, if regular people log onto the TAS pages, its for what that site has to offer like, when and who is giving the next lecture, are they having an observing night, might there be a club telescope I can hire etc etc. Practically, none of that info is available here.
Now, if someone from the locale turned up on this site FIRST, then found that they can keep in touch with the amateur community, AND get local info from 2 sites (as TAS is linked from IFAS). It compliments each other. Likewise, from TAS's site(s), the IFAS link will direct the surfer to here, letting them reach the amateur community, but still having to go back to TAS for vital local club information and events etc.

Know what I mean?? (...that was pretty long-winded!) :!:

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
20 years 5 months ago #1333 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: IFAS web linkage
Hi Seanie,
I agree with you there, I think its a win win situation where they both reinforce each other.

BTW, when I mentioned that our club site is going to use the IFAS logo, I didn't ask for permission, who do we ask (to be polite atleast)?

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
20 years 5 months ago #1334 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: IFAS web linkage

BTW, when I mentioned that our club site is going to use the IFAS logo, I didn't ask for permission, who do we ask (to be polite atleast)?

I owuld assume that any IFAS member is free to use the IFAS Logo. However to be sure to be sure David Bell is the man to ask (sdbell on the boards).

Bart B.,
IFAS Webmaster.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

More
20 years 5 months ago #1352 by sdbell
Replied by sdbell on topic Re: IFAS web linkage

Hi Seanie,
I agree with you there, I think its a win win situation where they both reinforce each other.

Well, Dave, since I designed it and since I am the Chair of IFAS, I suppose it is up to me to give you permission :) Go ahead. And the samre to anyone else who wants to use it to enhance their links to IFAS.

Seanie, I can dig out the original jpeg for you if you still want it

D

More
20 years 5 months ago #1359 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: IFAS web linkage

Well, Dave, since I designed it and since I am the Chair of IFAS, I suppose it is up to me to give you permission :) Go ahead. And the samre to anyone else who wants to use it to enhance their links to IFAS.

Seanie, I can dig out the original jpeg for you if you still want it

D

I get the impression that there are two IFAS logos! I designed one (it is on every page on this site) and you seem to have desinged one too. If yours is nicer I have no problem using it for everything.

Bart B.,
IFAS Webmaster.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds