K-Tec

Observing Certificates

More
19 years 10 months ago #3138 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Observing Certificates

Mr. Flannery is bound to be interested, so you might want to hold off fixing a date until he gets back.

Any idea when he's back?

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 10 months ago #3150 by johnflannery
Replied by johnflannery on topic Re: Observing Certificates
hi guys,

I'd definitely like to participate -- there was no feedback on the initial idea in the first edition of Arcturus last year but I hadn't a long term plan at the time so a few heads together is better.

the Astro League site is really excellent on observing proposals and there is stuff in there for every level of experience.

due back into Ireland on the evening of June 7th so can't make the suggested date but go ahead with that anyway as we can always follow up on this thread.

will try and post up some stuff from Riverside maybe later . . .

John

More
19 years 10 months ago #3153 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Observing Certificates

hi guys,

I'd definitely like to participate....
.....due back into Ireland on the evening of June 7th so can't make the suggested date but go ahead with that anyway as we can always follow up on this thread.

I think we can wait for you John! Since nobody else replied to the suggested Monday next date, I guess we'll wait a little while longer!

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

• spculleton
  • Topic Author
  • Super-Nova
  • Super-Nova
More
19 years 10 months ago #3154 by spculleton
Replied by spculleton on topic Re: Observing Certificates
Morning everyone,

I tried to post this last night, but my computer was acting up. I would suggest getting together in amonth's time. If we had a division of labour, and people worked on different aspects of the proposal then got together to discuss progress we might make headway a bit quicker. Besides, I intend being tucked up in bed by about noon on Bank Holiday Monday!

I would also suggest we wait for the Astronomer of the Year. He has after all volunteered to compile the list of targets for the binocular certificate.* We need to decide the format of the certificates, the observing log-sheets, the areas to be awarded, the targets in each area, the criteria for eligibility and the format for the awarding of certificates. If everyone worked on proposals for any or all of these areas we could select the best and merge them. Just a suggestion

* Perhaps I should have said BEEN volunteered :P

Shane Culleton.

Dozo Yoroshiku Onegai Shimasu

More
19 years 10 months ago #3192 by ctr
Replied by ctr on topic Re: Observing Certificates
Well all I will add to this thread is that as a beginner I think this is an excellent idea. Will it give me a league table of more difficult targets? I've not seen anything like it on the web and think it will put IFAS on the map. Can't wait for the results and hopefully then moving up the experience table :)

Each of us is here on earth for a reason, and each of us has a special mission to carry out - Maria Shriver

More
19 years 10 months ago #3194 by johnflannery
Replied by johnflannery on topic Re: Observing Certificates
hi everyone,

no problem Shane if you want me have a bash at the binocular observing list -- I'd like to extend the Springtime 60 to maybe 100 objects for all seasons and do a more detailed write-up about each object as an observing handbook that can be downloaded. Also, we should maybe include a preface on astronomy terms and buying and using binoculars. We could also extend it in the future to accomodate small scopes and more challenging phenomena for the more experienced observers.

what would hold me up on this probably for a couple of months is that mid-Summer is when I will roll up the sleeves and write the night sky almanac for 2005. That's not to say that I can't make a stab at a draft of a binocular observing guide and can let people review it.

talk to y'all soon,

John

Time to create page: 0.110 seconds