Observing Certificates

• spculleton
  • Topic Author
  • Super-Nova
  • Super-Nova
More
19 years 10 months ago #3124 by spculleton
Replied by spculleton on topic Re: Observing Certificates
Thanks for the responses Seanie and Mick. How about we get together at some stage over the coming months? I'm in Portlaoise, and I think ye're in Tullamore and Urlingford respectively. I don't mean to be exclusive about this, but if a working group of people got together in a pub somewhere ( Birr? ) and hammered this out we would make great progress.

The Astronomical League is definitely pioneering this kind of reward. I'm actually trying to fulfill the requirements for three of their certificates at the moment! On their site you can find the entire Messier list, plus Caldwell list &c. - meaning that of course their site will feature more highly on most astronomical websearches. The reward is definitely not a piece of paper, but instead what has been learned and understood by doing the project. The Messier list would be a good place to start, but should it include all the M objects? Has anyone managed to track down M6 or M7 from Ireland? We could have Bronze (70+), Silver (90+) and Gold (109/110) levels of achievement, but surely then we'd just be sending three different certs to one person eventually! Anyway, all of these things could be solved by arguing it out.

How about standardised observing sheets to record observations downloadable as pdfs from this site? Could make the Observations Secretaries job that much easier!

Just imagine; certificates being handed out after dinner at Cosmos and Whirlpool. Wouldn't that be fun?

Shane Culleton.

Dozo Yoroshiku Onegai Shimasu

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 10 months ago #3125 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: Observing Certificates
Sounds like a plan of action! I'm game for it.

Michael

More
19 years 10 months ago #3128 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Observing Certificates
me too!

:D

How are you two fixed on Bank Holiday Monday? TAS has a lecture that night, and both of you are members/are in the general area (or should be as proper members!).

Anyone else reading this want to take part?
We'll agree on a time and place to suit all to be involved.

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
19 years 10 months ago #3132 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: Observing Certificates

Anyone else reading this want to take part?[/b] We'll agree on a time and place to suit all to be involved.

Ah sure why not :)

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
19 years 10 months ago #3133 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Observing Certificates
Excellent... thats 4 so far.

As its early in the day, lets wait till we see if there are more replies, then we can organise how etc. to get together and pool our thoughts.

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
19 years 10 months ago #3134 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: Observing Certificates
Mr. Flannery is bound to be interested, so you might want to hold off fixing a date until he gets back.

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

Time to create page: 0.121 seconds