K-Tec

The Government of the Republic of Slovenia Passes a Light Po

• carlobeirnes
  • IFAS Sponsor & Astronomer of the Year 2013
  • IFAS Sponsor & Astronomer of the Year 2013
More
16 years 7 months ago #50607 by carlobeirnes
Hi Keith,

The lights are on but there is no orange glare of them you would not know there on till you drive up to them. there along the part on the motorway where the malahide bridge is has any else seen them

Carl O’Beirnes,
Scopes and Space Ltd,
Unit A8 Airside Enterprise Centre,
Swords, Co Dublin,
Ireland.
www.scopesandspace.ie/
www.facebook.com/scopesandspace
twitter.com/ScopesandSpace
www.youtube.com/user/ScopesandSpace

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• albertw
  • Topic Author
  • IFAS Secretary
  • IFAS Secretary
More
16 years 7 months ago #50608 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re:

Did anyone see the new lights on the M1 they don't look like there on till you drive up to them.

Are they good Carl? I mean are they full cut off, if like you say they don't look like they are on until you pass them, hopefully better designed lighting is on it's way...

Keith..

All new NRA lights should be FCO. I really must scan the letter where they said that :-)

I'm headding up north in a couple of weeks so I'll keep an eye out for them.

Carl thanks for the offer for AI help. I'm waiting on a reply from the ESB at the moment about light pollution, once I have that I'll finish the article I promised.

mia, you can try picking my brains, but please post on the board here as there are a couple of people with more knowledge of the technical details of the lighting industry here. I can get some folks from the BAA to look at the details if they are too technical.

On the face of it I'd have expected the lighting to be FCO, afterall you don't want your golfers being blinded by glare from lights. Whether they have to disclose their lighting will depend on the planning process of your local authority. We've got a couple of councils here to require that lighting plans be included as part of an application. Have a chat to your local planning office.

Northern Ireland is in a bit of a legal limbo as regard to light pollution. The light pollution law passed in Westminster only applies to England and Wales I believe, mind you that law would probably be useless in this case anyway. If you are near or within the realm of Armagh City Council you might be able to leverage their policy ( www.ilpac.eu//index.php?option=com_conte...;id=24&Itemid=25 )

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
16 years 7 months ago #50609 by dave_lillis
Is the problem really motorways street lighting???, most of what I've seen recently looks excellent,. From what I can tell, that stupid 30 year old orange sodium lighting is the real problem, those are the lights that need replacing, it is so badly designed, alot of the light goes straight up.
When you're in a big city at night, the clouds look orange, this is due to that damn lighting.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

• albertw
  • Topic Author
  • IFAS Secretary
  • IFAS Secretary
More
16 years 7 months ago #50610 by albertw

Is the problem really motorways street lighting???, most of what I've seen recently looks excellent,. From what I can tell, that stupid 30 year old orange sodium lighting is the real problem, those are the lights that need replacing, it is so badly designed, alot of the light goes straight up.
When you're in a big city at night, the clouds look orange, this is due to that damn lighting.

Well if the NRA used floodlights it would be a problem :-)

The ESB are apparently starting to use better lights and retrofitting older ones (certainly in some parts of Dublin). They are not FCO but have a very shallow bowl. Should have more details from the soon.

Then there is there is the 'I need a 5000W light to show off the tree in my garden' lot to sort out...

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
16 years 7 months ago #50611 by lunartic_old
Are the 5000W brigade the same people who want to give the cat a suntan when its walks across the back garden? :D

Seriously, www.lightpollution.it/dmsp/artbri.html have some scary pictures, even the oil rigs in the North Sea are contributing.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.

Rich Cook

More
16 years 7 months ago #50612 by eansbro
Al,

I have 6 large (1mx0.75m) gloss colour posters of the Slovenia conference.
Would you like them for displays?

If so I will be in Dublin Airport at the SAS Radisson Hotel for pick up at reception for 20.00 hrs tomorrow (Wednesday).

Eamonn A

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds