K-Tec

The Government of the Republic of Slovenia Passes a Light Po

More
16 years 7 months ago #50600 by pmgisme
This is what our Department of the Environment looks like at night,
(Custom House,Dublin):
upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2...n_custom_house_2.jpg

Peter.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 7 months ago #50601 by Keith g
Replied by Keith g on topic Re:
Well at least that is encouraging lads, for the first time in this country we have a green environmental minister, maybe there is a slight hope of something being done??

I wrote to dick roche last year on the issue:

www.irishastronomy.org/boards/viewtopic.php?t=4618

this is what I got back:
www.irishastronomy.org/boards/viewtopic.php?t=4891

Keep on pushin' !!!

Keith..

More
16 years 7 months ago #50603 by Mike
Al
You’ve got me thinking; before you go to the European Symposium in October I think all of us here on the forum (if people are in agreement) with the many counties represented should e-mail local councilors and local papers regarding the issue of light pollution and help to make aware what it is all about and what can be done (i.e. Slovenia’s example).

Therefore is there a set format of a letter or wording explaining the issues briefly and to the point (Mr. Keith Geary’s letter to minister Roche would set the precedent) we could all use as a standard, it would just be a matter of placing our own names /contact details on it. Has this been done before or should it be done? Sorry, I’m relatively new to the forum so perhaps this has already been discussed!

Clear skies
Mike

I83 Cherryvalley Observatory

After one look at this planet any visitor from outer space would say; "I WANT TO SEE THE MANAGER".

More
16 years 7 months ago #50604 by mia
I live in the middle of the country with very little LP, (lights of Downpatrick ruins part of the western horizon but not greatly!)
Anyway, my neighbours have built a driving range a couple of fields over and are planning to have night lighting for golfers who have to hit golf balls at night (as you do!)

I've spoken to my neighbours about this, explaining how I'm an amateur astronomer and how EAAS sometimes use my garden as a obs site.

They are going to get their 'lightman' to contact me re details of angles, collars, brightness and how long the lights are going to be left on...... when he does can I pick your brain Albert? I know that it's not government and they probably will be pointing down towards the south but it's the glare upwards that I'm afraid off. Do they have to disclose their lighting plans to other people before permission is given to go ahead?

I get on really well with these neighbours and don't wanna rock the boat too much and they have been very accomodating in keeping me informed.

• carlobeirnes
  • IFAS Sponsor & Astronomer of the Year 2013
  • IFAS Sponsor & Astronomer of the Year 2013
More
16 years 7 months ago #50605 by carlobeirnes
Hi All,

As you now this is a subject close to my heart. It kills our hubby all over our country. if you need any of Astronomy Irelands resources like ads in the magazine or any thing else just ask.

Did anyone see the new lights on the M1 they don't look like there on till you drive up to them.

Carl O’Beirnes,
Scopes and Space Ltd,
Unit A8 Airside Enterprise Centre,
Swords, Co Dublin,
Ireland.
www.scopesandspace.ie/
www.facebook.com/scopesandspace
twitter.com/ScopesandSpace
www.youtube.com/user/ScopesandSpace

More
16 years 7 months ago #50606 by Keith g
Replied by Keith g on topic Re:

Did anyone see the new lights on the M1 they don't look like there on till you drive up to them.

Are they good Carl? I mean are they full cut off, if like you say they don't look like they are on until you pass them, hopefully better designed lighting is on it's way...

Keith..

Time to create page: 0.105 seconds