K-Tec

Blue flashes in he sky

More
19 years 2 months ago #9944 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: Blue flashes in he sky
Dave,
The flashes that we saw went on for at least a half hour or mabey even more. About that time sounds right also.
If they were the same flashes that you saw then you're talking about something very high indeed - certainly in the upper parts of the atmosphere. What's interesting is that you saw them towards the east also. For us both to see them in the same direction would probably put them at a phenomenal altitude.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 2 months ago #9947 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Blue flashes in he sky
Myself (and at one instance Dee to) saw these before, but I have never actually attributed them to anything phenomenal. I just thought that perhaps they were a firework really far off, or a farmer in a field with a 2 million candle-power torch checking his livestock for the night (particularly around births - they can be checking every 1 or 2 hours), as well as MAYBE a static electric discharge from a pylon somehwere.

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
19 years 2 months ago #9948 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: Blue flashes in he sky
I thought the same until there was an extremely bright one. It completely lit up the ground where were standing, and we were in a sheltered area surrounded by either walls or trees. The flashes were also incredibly short, at least as short as a camera flash and possible even shorter.
Whatever they were, I firmly believe that they were not ground-based, that's for sure.

More
18 years 2 weeks ago #27190 by jobhas
Replied by jobhas on topic Re: Blue flashes in he sky
I'm fallowing this forum since some months ago.. since I have observed this phenomena to. Here at Portugal.

Now I'm thinking loudly:
If the flashes were made by some kind of cosmic particle in our eyes then the probality of hitting two persons eyes at the same moment should be very remote. Not?

Every time I saw the flashes it was not only one flash by night.. but 2 or 3. Last time, at April's 25 at 4 AM I could see very well 3 flashes as I step out of my car and look to the starry sky. (I live at the country). I stayed out for 10 minutes more but the show was ended. The sky was clear and I can confirm using Meteo-Live that no storm or even clouds was near Portugal's sky.

So I'm starting to belive that it's in fact some kind of upper atmosphere electrical discharge

Jobhas

More
18 years 2 weeks ago #27191 by Eirikg
Replied by Eirikg on topic Re: Blue flashes in he sky
blue flash over the hole sky i would say lightning, but with a distance to great to hear the boom. Thats the only blue flashing ive seen in the sky

More
18 years 2 weeks ago #27192 by jobhas
Replied by jobhas on topic Re: Blue flashes in he sky

blue flash over the hole sky i would say lightning, but with a distance to great to hear the boom. Thats the only blue flashing ive seen in the sky

As I just say. I've checked if there was any storm near using meteo-Live. There wasn't any storm near Iberic Peninsulae. Not even North Africa nor at the sea.

Time to create page: 0.105 seconds