K-Tec

Blue flashes in he sky

More
17 years 6 days ago #45915 by Mike
Replied by Mike on topic Lights in the Sky!
Interesting indeed

Regarding unusual flashes in the sky, there are a number of downloadable videos here for one to view (sprites, elves, blue-jets, lighting etc) so as to compare with what was witnessed by a number of people on this forum. These events are termed “Transient Luminous Events” (TLEs).
sonotaco.com/sample/sprite/e_index.html

The videos were taken with highly sensitive monochrome video cameras and special capture software. Despite lack of colour, the structures of the flashes and area of the sky affected can be clearly seen. Whatever media player you are using it should be possible to look at the event for each video frame by frame.
I have caught one atmospheric event on my system that could be termed a TLE, we are still investigating but my suspicions was that it was a line of sight meteor event (bright offset point like flash of approximately magnitude -7) over five frames of video. Perhaps over time other TLEs will be caught on camera the more people get involved with meteor video monitoring systems.
I am not sure if Eamonn and Robert have caught similar events, perhaps if they are reading this they may post something or have additional information on TLEs.

Regarding the BBC news story and multiply witnesses sightings of UFOs over NI which seems at first to have a number of peculiarities, I think this would compliment the “Are UFOs Real” section?

Clear skies
Mike

I83 Cherryvalley Observatory

After one look at this planet any visitor from outer space would say; "I WANT TO SEE THE MANAGER".

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 6 days ago #45917 by jhoare
Replied by jhoare on topic Re: Blue flashes in he sky
Of course UFOs are real, they are unidientifed phenomena. The only real question is "What are they?".

John

Better that old people should die of talk than to have young people die in war.

More
17 years 6 days ago #45918 by Mike
Replied by Mike on topic Lights in the Sky!
100% correct John, what are they indeed?

clear skies
Mike

I83 Cherryvalley Observatory

After one look at this planet any visitor from outer space would say; "I WANT TO SEE THE MANAGER".

More
17 years 6 days ago #45920 by Neill
Replied by Neill on topic Lights in the Sky
A suggestion from the EAAS forum for the lights is that it is military aircraft and the dropping of magnesium flares.

• dave_lillis
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
17 years 6 days ago #45951 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Blue flashes in he sky
Do you mean for the blue flashes in general or the reddening sky in last night ? These seem to be very different events.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
17 years 5 days ago #45976 by Neill
Replied by Neill on topic Lights in the Sky
Hi Dave,

I was referring to the events in Bangor on Sat night.

Neill

Time to create page: 0.111 seconds