K-Tec

ALDI have a telescope on Special on Sunday

• darragh
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
18 years 5 months ago #17888 by darragh

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 5 months ago #17889 by keithke
I wouldn't no much about the optics (although i can say for certain that you wouldn't see anything through it clearlly at 250x as they claim) but the mount would be a pain in the neck as you would constantly have to move it in 2 directions because it is not equtorial. It would do for lunar observations but not much else i think.

More
18 years 5 months ago #17890 by Macros42
Replied by Macros42 on topic Re: ALDI have a telescope on Special on Sunday
It'd be great if you're into astrology

262.5x astrology telescope

:lol:

Steve
--
"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen" -- Albert Einstein

More
18 years 5 months ago #17891 by ftodonoghue
Replied by ftodonoghue on topic Re: ALDI have a telescope on Special on Sunday
I would not worry too much about it not being an equatorial, I have equatorial on the skylux and never set it up, I would be worried that it does not appear to have any fine movement controls though(although I have no experience with an alt-az). Also we dont know what size eyepieces it takes, it could be 1.25 then again it may be .965. I would have my doubts that it would be any use astronomically, then again it may be ok optically. There is no way of knowing if it is ok without looking through it, but I would err on the side of caution...If you gave it as a present there might be no better way to destroy someones interest in astronomy

Cheers
Trevor

More
18 years 5 months ago #17894 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: ALDI have a telescope on Special on Sunday
It would e fine as a kids starter scope, but don't expect to see much. Craters on the Moon, Jupiter (minus cloud detail) and its 4 moons, Saturn with its rings (but only as a shape, no detail), and decent clusters and larger/brighter nebulae are all you can expect to see with a 60mm reflector. That, and birds!!

Save up and get something a little bigger in aperture!

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

• darragh
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
18 years 5 months ago #17897 by darragh

Save up and get something a little bigger in aperture!
Seanie.

I am going to buy a Meade ETX-90PE but wondered if was useful at all.

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds