K-Tec

ALDI have a telescope on Special on Sunday

More
18 years 6 months ago #18016 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: ALDI have a telescope on Special on Sunday

Give it over or I'll get Jed Glover in here, his list would cross a page or two!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Now Jed would have a constructive list! We have seen what he can do!

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 6 months ago #18018 by Macros42
Replied by Macros42 on topic Re: ALDI have a telescope on Special on Sunday

Now Jed would have a constructive list! We have seen what he can do!

Seanie.

Meeeeoooowww!

:lol:

Steve
--
"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen" -- Albert Einstein

More
18 years 6 months ago #18020 by dmcdona
Dave G - moi?

Cheers
Dave McD

AP1200GTO
AP1200GTO
AP1200GTO
AP1200GTO
AP1200GTO
AP1200GTO
AP1200GTO
AP1200GTO
AP1200GTO
AP1200GTO
AP1200GTO
AP1200GTO
AP1200GTO
AP1200GTO
AP1200GTO
AP1200GTO
AP1200GTO
AP1200GTO

• darragh
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
18 years 6 months ago #18026 by darragh

But I am still going to buy the Meade ETX-90PE as I want to do some astro-photography.
Regards

One of the guys in the club here has an ETX90, what objects in particular do you want to get using this scope??

I would like to detailed Moon photos plus planets and some nebula.

I know very little about astronomy ( failed 3rd year physics in college :lol: ) and barely understand my camera.

Is the ETX-90 capable of this or should I go for the for the larger versions i.e the 105 or the 125?

I want something that is small portable, with go-to capablities and can be attached to a Canon 350D?

Thanks

More
18 years 6 months ago #18027 by dmcdona
Daragh - that's a tall order really. Typically (and I'm sure there are exceptions) webcams and webcamalikes (eg Meade LPI) are good for the brighter solar system objects. For small nebulas (e.g planteraries) you'll need either a DSLR or a CCD imager. They're just too faint for webcams.

And in reality, the OTA ('scope) is not a key decision in that regard. The OTA becomes key when you want to match your imager with an approriate OTA. Its likely that you can get some additional variety by choosing Barlows and focal reducers.

The ETX90, I'm assuming its a 90mm refractor 'cos I have the ETX70, will give you really nice medium field images when coupled with an imager. Either type of imager with the ETX90 will give nice moon shots. But getting planetary images will be tricky. A webcam with a 3x or greater Barlow may give you half-decent planetary images but they'll be pretty small.

The ETX90 with a DSLR will give you nice shots - nebulous regions (eg M42). With a Barlow, you should get some of the larger planetaries as well.

THe focal length of the ETX90 means you'll want to be tweaking the mount to get the best out of it. The better the mount, the longer the exposure you can take without trailing or periodic-error creeping in.

I think this scope (or similar) with a webcam or DSLR will be a reasonable choice for you to cut your teeth on. The 125 has a long focal length and would be problematic for a beginner, or at the least, disheartening... I don;t know much about the 105 I'm afraid...

Hope this helps a bit...

Cheers

Dave

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
18 years 6 months ago #18028 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re: ALDI have a telescope on Special on Sunday
Darragh, I'd have to pretty much second everything Dave said above.

I'd just add that something like a 4" reflector can still be quite portable and affordable and offer more than a 90mmETX would, in my opinion.

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

Time to create page: 0.118 seconds