K-Tec

ALDI have a telescope on Special on Sunday

More
18 years 6 months ago #17936 by gnason

I wouldn't no much about the optics (although i can say for certain that you wouldn't see anything through it clearlly at 250x as they claim) but the mount would be a pain in the neck as you would constantly have to move it in 2 directions because it is not equtorial. It would do for lunar observations but not much else i think.

Actually, You won't see anything at all at that magnification with a cheap 60mm scope like this, let alone clearly. With a 4mm Ramsden and a 1.5 plastic Barlow giving 262.5x, all you'll get is a dim indistinct blur. The 20mm and 12.5mm may provide passable low power viewing but I suspect the rest could probably go in the bin.

I have to disagree with your comment on mounts. Equatorial mounts are too confusing for small children. Alt/Az mounts are fine - every Dobsonian is an alt/az mounted scope and they are so simple to operate.

Gordon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 6 months ago #17937 by gnason

Gordon - tut tut, besmirching Russell Grant? My hero - he told me in 1987, via 'Your Sizzling Sun' that I'd be rich and famous. I can't wait! Its gonna happen 'cos he was on TV and in the mags and he's a professional.

I think he was right; you bought tons of expensive astronony gear so you must be rich and you confirmed that nova so you're famous!

The Astroscan looks cool and ncieley spec'd for the price - but not available outside the USA unfortunately - through resellers or by mail order.

Sorry, my mistake. However Orion's StarBlast is available, another highly recommended scope for children. www.scsastro.co.uk/it040019.htm

But if a germ of interest can be kindled, even for a moment, I'd prefer that than getting her nothing, and always wondering if....

Yeah, I know. Many parents are hesitant to spend much on a scope for a young child but there is always the chance that he or she is a future Carl Sagan.

Gordon

More
18 years 6 months ago #17938 by dmcdona
Folks - has anyone here actually had a look through the Aldi scope?

People automatically assume 'cheap' means 'throw it in the bin'. I bought the Skylux from Lidle last year. €69. The Aldi scope was sold for €59 (a tenner off for the xmas sales).

I had good views through the Skylux of the moon, solar system objects, M42 etc etc. Yes, the visual images were small, but it was a refreshing change to look at widefield vistas as opposed to high magnifications through an 8" SCT.

As a testament to the optics of the Skylux, I imaged the Sombrero Galaxy in detail that surprised me (here's the image - www.astroshack.net/gallery/M104.php

So, for 69 quid, I got a great scope that I would have no bother giving to any youngster with an interest in astronomy AND have no fear of destroying their interest.

Of course, I haven't looked through the Aldi scope. Some of the comments here may turn out to be true - it might only be fit for the bin. But then again, it might not. All I see here is speculation. No-one has posted here that they have looked through this scope. So all we have is speculation, supposition and opinion based on preconceived ideas of cheap = nasty. If that thought-train prevailed, Lidl would STILL be trying to offload hundreds of Skylux and Meade ETX70's.

Now, I'm all too familiar with the 'those cheap plastic telescopes sold in Department stores' warnings. And yes, caveat emptor. But you cannot say every scope for less than a hundred quid sold through 'pile 'em high, sell 'em cheap' stores are rubbish and will destroy a child's enthusiasm. The skylux - QED.

When someone comes on here and says categorically that they have looked through the Aldi scope and its crap, I'll spend my Niece's 50 quid xmas present on a Karaoke plug-in.

Until then, Aldi will get my fifty quid and provide me with a scope that with make a seven year old girl very happy until Stephen's day. Of course, I'll look through it first and report the results here if no-one else has :D

And in case think I'm mean, I'm not. Just poor for reason's you are all too well familiar with. God knows what I'll buy her Mum - if I bought HER an Aldi scope, I'll have to have it surgically removed...

Dave

More
18 years 6 months ago #17939 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: ALDI have a telescope on Special on Sunday
I remember when I got my first scope (60mm tasco+eq mount) in christmas in the 80s, it wasnt until mid January that I actually got a chance to see the sky through it, so mine lasted me well past St Stephens day :wink:

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
18 years 6 months ago #17940 by gnason

Folks - has anyone here actually had a look through the Aldi scope?People automatically assume 'cheap' means 'throw it in the bin'. Dave

Dave,

Just to clear one point up. I didn't say "throw the scope in the bin". My remark referred to some of the eyepieces that normally come with these cheap scopes. I'd be interested to hear how the optics stand up.

Gordon

More
18 years 6 months ago #17941 by dmcdona
Gordon - I WAS rich before the AP purchase but am now poor again... I'm sure 'Russell Grant, only in your Sizzzzzzling Sun' said riches would be permanent....

As for the fame, well, can't argue with that. I believe I may have a mention in an Internationally sold Astronomy Magazine this month....

The Starblast looks good - but that's a real shame about the Astroscan - it looke a lot more funky. But Celestron do a scope that looks the same as the Astroscan - www.celestron.com/prod_pgs/tel/explorascope_index.htm

Now that's a good a spec and funky too. Say - would there be a shop in North Dublin city that'd sell this? If so, could you post up the price?

I'd be doing a disservice to the child (and her parents) if I got her something she couldn't see anything through. But at the same time, I'd hate to spend a couple of hundred to see THAT go into the attic.

I think the difference between a parent buying a 'department store' scope and me buying a 'department store' scope, is I'd quickly spot a lemon. And I quickly spot a bargain too. For the parents, it would of course be pot luck. They'd swallow the sales blurb in an instant, through ignorance.

They may get a lemon, or they may get a cracking little beginner's scope for a song...

But I do think that even if a child got a lemon, if that enthusiasm is strong enough, they will progress. A bit like the 16 year old getting an '86 Toyato Carina. Its crap, has a life expectency to Easter - but it theirs. And they WILL aspire to a Subaru WRX, if they live long enough...

And by the way, in case anyone thinks I am speculating about the crapness of '86 Toyota Carinas, I have a (temporary) '94 Carina and can attest to its crapness based on a 3 hour daily commute up the M50....

Dave

[/b]

Time to create page: 0.111 seconds