K-Tec

Celestron Prices

More
20 years 7 months ago #566 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: Celestron Prices

I'm probably gonna get in trouble for saying this and causing a flame-war, but I'm just going to call a spade a spade. Astronomy Ireland are nothing but cowboys and rip-off artists.

I'd consider buying a Celestron as they have a reseller based about 2 miles from where I live (that'd the cowboys!), but not at those insane prices. But until they bring their prices down to a sane level, they have no chance of my business. I think I'm going to fire a complaint at Celestron to inform them of this. I think we all should.

I may not quite agree that AI are cowboys but A&S sure seem to be. I completely agree that their prices are rediculous and they don't have a snowballs chance in hell of getting my business. However it is a non-issue really because I have had very good experiences with Meade so I see no need to change to celestron now, expecially with those prices!

However, if we all complain to Celestron things have a better chance of changing.

Bart B.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 years 7 months ago #567 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: Celestron Prices
AI and A&S Ltd.....let's be honest, is there really a difference between the two except for tax purposes of course?? Don't get me wrong, I do not believe there is anything illegal with their approach. I'm more concerned with the manner in which readers of the magazine and the general public are fed information/sales talk.
Read virtually any of David Moore's articles and mid-ways through he'll try and flog you telescope. Is this proper journalistic behaviour/credibility??? Do you see Astronomy Now, or Sky and Telscope do this?...No,you don't. Why? Because they would be flooded with complaints and would lose a lot of readers. On the positive note however, there can be the occassional good article in A&S....it's a pity that they can't be appreciated by more due to the lack of credibility and inethical money-grapping approach that A&S Ltd has because of one individual.
I'm amazed that Celestron wishes to be associated with this approach.
Michael

More
20 years 7 months ago #568 by tomcosgrave
Replied by tomcosgrave on topic Re: Celestron Prices
Perhaps I'm wrong, but they seem to be the same organisation.
It's quite ridiculous, to be honest. I pity those who buy scopes from them for such prices.

I think I am going to complain - I know there's a lot of talk around the place of "Rip-off Ireland", but this is just taking the mickey completely.

--
tom cosgrave
this is diopter - www.thisisdiopter.org

More
20 years 7 months ago #570 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: Celestron Prices
I can't balme you for getting confused over this issue.
I do often wonder if the confusion is intentional. (worded carefully so as not to cause trouble!)
The same person as I understand basically runs both the club and the business...nothing essentially wrong with this in itself if it was done in a more honest and open way.
However, the manner in which the business and the club are muddled together does result in people thinking they are purchasing products from a non-profit-making club rather than an all-for-profit-lets-forget-ethics business.
This is only one of the reasons why alot of people feel disgusted on the whole AI issue.
Michael
BTW, I just sent a complaint to Celestron - for what good it'll do I don't know. They might just want to take the money and run also.

More
20 years 7 months ago #572 by spculleton
Replied by spculleton on topic Re: Celestron Prices
It's interesting that David Hinds will not ship to the R of I due to this 'territorial' agreement, yet Astronomy Ireland will ship to the UK. Do David Hinds/Celestron know about this? Just flicking through October's S&T I spotted lots of ads for dealers who claim they will ship worldwide. Somebody somewhere is misleading us!

Shane Culleton.

Dozo Yoroshiku Onegai Shimasu

More
20 years 7 months ago #588 by reptonite
Replied by reptonite on topic Thank you all
I was beginning to feel like a bit of a victor meldrew there for a while. But logging back in and seeing people in agreement with me calms me somewhat.

Regards DHinds not shipping over here, but A&S shipping over there? It probably has something to do with that most base of human instincts "when you're completely chancing your arm, and know you're in the wrong, get the law on your side". I've a feeling that A&S have had more than a hand in the creation of the monopoly, and the blame cannot be put solely at Celestron's door. I personally am of the opinion that were being beaten around the head with a large, blunt Service Level Agreement. Or at least threatened with it.

Did anyone attend the Star Party in the park the other day? Did anyone notice how many times David Moore mentioned A&S in his speech?

Bless him. I suppose the least you can do if you're not going to be honest is be bloody blatant.......

"At least have the decency to wear a mask if you're going to rob someone!"

Time to create page: 0.101 seconds