K-Tec

Telescopes (Meade ETX 70 & Skylux) in Lidl Monday 22nd N

More
19 years 5 months ago #5840 by Gleth
The ETX70 is a great little scope, for solar observing (with a proper filter of course) as well as night sky stuff. Mine will happily hook up to a laptop for control, but I've not needed to bother as the handset has all you really need to get pointed in the right direction :-) It takes 6 AA batteries to power it, and they seem to last for a good night's viewing unless it gets really cold, when you'll want a second set to swap with. The Lidl offer says there is a backpack with it, which I really wish I had for mine as that would make taking it around on my scooter easier than it is now...

All in all I would reccomend this as a great first, or secondary scope.

Have Fun,
Jim.

Have Fun,
Jim
--
Jim McBoyle

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 5 months ago #5841 by Sizzzzzle
Hi,

First of all I really like this website, and I am generally more of a reader than a poster.
I would be a very beginner in Astronomy. I know a few of the stars, like to go to heavens-above.com, and get the satelites passing and look out for them.

Reading the posts about the LIDL scopes it seems that people here are recommending them. My question is - which one should I buy? :)

The more expensive one does look nice, but I am wondering if I need that computer thingy with it. Although looking around at the websites and reviews about it there is a mention of using a camera with it, which is something I would be interested in doing at some stage.

The cheaper one looks nice and simple to use. Could I use a camera with that one too?

I really want to see more of the sky than I can with my binoculars, which are only 8 X 25 I think. Either of the telescopes would let me see more right? I want a scope that I could use for a long while, and then maybe progress to something bigger in a few years. So which would be the best to go with?

Would welcome any answers to me questions.
Thanks again :)

Sizzzzzzzzzle

More
19 years 5 months ago #5842 by albertw

Great that it has a PC connection! I'm betting I can make a DIY cable for this - they're usually simple serial type things, the only thing is software but there seems to be a lot of Meade related homebrew/freeware stuff out on the net (have to have a proper look around to be sure).

If its the same as the 437 autostar then you can make it easily. You dont need Meades software as the instruction set will just be a subset of the LX200 and several programs (Xephem anyway) already support driving the scope through this interface.

Cheers,
~Al

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
19 years 5 months ago #5843 by dmcdona
Welcome aboard Sizzzzzle! If you are after advice about amateur astronomy, you're definately in the right place. Be prepared for a flurry of replies though!

Its great that you've started off with binoculars and heavens
-above - I assume that you therefore have more knowledge than your average man on a bus and have an idea of what you'd like to accomplish.

So, the next progression for you is a telesope. As you're aware, there are thousands to choose from and you can pay a little or a lot. And then there's all the accessories.

I think the first decision you need to make in order to achieve your current objectives is how much you are prepared to budget for the scope. If both of the scopes are within your budget, then its lilely the more expensive one will be better. However, I know nothing of the performance of either of the scopes - but I'm sure the previois posts in this topic cover that.

As for the computer thingy, this will help you *find* objects you want to look at. Personally, I don't have a GOTO scope (that's the computer bit) so I use a computer star atlas, find what I'm looking for, then manually move the scope to that position. Its not as easy as it seems - the GOTO computer definately helps if you are a beginner.

Some of the posts refer to attaching a camera to these scopes - I'm not so sure the cheaper of the two can handle that. I'll leave the technical details to others on this board. Its fair to say though that if you want to take the kinds of *wow* pictures you see on the net or in the mags (eg the Andromeda galaxy) then neither of these scopes and theior mounts can do a good job for you. If you are serious about astrophotography, you'll need to do a lot more research (and spend more money!).

Lastly, there is a phenomenon you will suffer from called 'apeture fever'. It commonly strikes down amateur astronomers, particularly in the early days of them taking up the hobby. I suffered a severe bout a year or so ago and am just recovering, I think :wink:

When/if you get a scope, within a few months you will be looking for something bigger/better - you'll be searching high and low for extra accessories to help you get that little bit more of a view... But that's the fun of it all :!:

So, take your time, ask all the questions you need to ask - the lads here will be delighted to assist where they can - and above all, enjoy!

Dave

but it seems the Meade scope can manage at least a piggy-backed affair and can manage (with the purchase of an accessory) to take a camera attached directly to the

More
19 years 5 months ago #5844 by ayiomamitis
Gentlemen,

For anyone into satellites and their imaging (?), the LX-200 instruction set is a god-send for the simple reason that software already exists which will track a satellite as it crosses the sky.

Anyone interested, for example, in observing and/or imaging the ISS as it makes the next overhead pass, the software is already available and for free. I do not know to what extent the ETX-70 will allow for sufficient image scale but I will go and check the Meade site for specs.

If it is indeed doable, I would personally pick up such a scope for this particular purpose alone and nothing else.

Anthony.

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

More
19 years 5 months ago #5845 by albertw

Anyone interested, for example, in observing and/or imaging the ISS as it makes the next overhead pass, the software is already available and for free. I do not know to what extent the ETX-70 will allow for sufficient image scale but I will go and check the Meade site for specs.

At 70mm diameter and 300mm focal length its not going to be the best scope for high magnification detail. That siad I did see detail on Mars though Jim's ETX 70 last summer.

Cheers,
~Al

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds