• DeirdreKelleghan
  • Topic Author
  • IFAS Social Media Officer
More
16 years 6 months ago #54305 by DeirdreKelleghan
Cassini and Holmes was created by DeirdreKelleghan
I got this from JPL this evening.

The answer to Dave Lillis question which I passed on to those concerned re Cassini taking a look at Holmes.

Nov. 6, 2007

First of all, quite a few of the project members have been following Comet 17P/Holmes, and are very excited about this unique astronomical event.

However, there are three principal difficulties with pointing Cassini's cameras at Comet 17P/Holmes. First, it is quite close to the Sun as seen from Cassini. We cannot point our cameras very close to the Sun or sunlight will damage the instruments. Comet 17P/Holmes may be far enough from the Sun to target it - just barely - in about a week, but stray light from the Sun may make it impossible to take any useful measurements.

Second, Cassini is about six times as far away from Comet 17P/Holmes as the Earth is. Remember, Saturn is nearly 10 times as far from the Sun as the Earth, and the comet is still in the inner solar system. Ground-based telescopes and orbiting platforms like Hubble are much closer than Cassini is, and generally more able to conduct better science.

Third, since our spacecraft carries twelve instruments with twenty-seven associated investigations, we must design and build our sequences many months in advance to plan the detailed and optimized measurements our scientists (and the public) deserve. In order to add a new observation days or weeks in advance, we must work very hard to rebuild a piece of a sequence and test it thoroughly to make sure we don't make a mistake. Also, we have very little idle time on board the spacecraft, so observations of 17P/Holmes would have to replace interesting observations of some other very fascinating body in Saturn's system - and those are the measurements Cassini was built to take. We almost never do this - outside of responding to an anomaly - and only for the very highest priority activities.

Having said all that, however, there actually are Cassini scientists that are looking into the feasibility of taking some observations of Comet 17P/Holmes. It really is a very interesting astronomical event, and Cassini carries an Ultraviolet Imaging Spectrograph which could make observations that Earth-based instruments could not (since Earth's atmosphere blocks nearly all of the UV part of the spectrum). Also, imaging the comet and its tails from a different perspective could also be scientifically useful (as well as pretty cool!).

These potential observations are in a very primitive stage, and would have to be justified against the interference in our existing sequences, the added workload they would cause, and any risks associated with pointing close to the sun. But stay tuned, and perhaps we'll have something to add to the excitement in the coming months.

So now wait and see 8-) how interesting :D

Deirdre Kelleghan
President
Irish Astronomical Society 1937 - 2007
Public Relations Officer IFAS
www.deirdrekelleghan.com/
homepage.eircom.net/~irishas/index.htm
www.irishastronomy.org/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 6 months ago #54306 by Keenan
Replied by Keenan on topic Re: Cassini and Holmes

I got this from JPL this evening...
So now wait and see 8-) how interesting :D

Deirdre Kelleghan

Interesting indeed - thanks to the JPL for explaining the difficulties, and to you for passing on the response.

It's nice to know that they didn't just ignore the question or fob it off with a canned reply.

If we "watch this space" and they do produce something, I'm sure it'll be spectacular and if they don't, at least we know why.

Either way, my thanks to Deirdre/Dave and JPL. :)

More
16 years 6 months ago #54309 by pmgisme
Replied by pmgisme on topic Re: Cassini and Holmes
HST would do an infinitely better job.

The relatively feeble optics on far-away Cassini would not see much anyway.

(Leaving aside the danger to Cassini of looking Sunward.)

Peter.

More
16 years 6 months ago #54314 by jeyjey
Replied by jeyjey on topic Re: Cassini and Holmes
Deirdre --

Fascinating response. Mind if I post that on CloudyNights? I know a lot of other folks who would be interested. (I will of course attribute the opening section to you.)

-- Jeff.

Nikon 18x70s / UA Millennium                              Colorado:
Solarscope SF70 / TV Pronto / AP400QMD             Coronado SolarMax40 DS / Bogen 055+3130
APM MC1610 / Tak FC-125 / AP1200GTO               Tak Mewlon 250 / AP600EGTO

More
16 years 6 months ago #54315 by pmgisme
Replied by pmgisme on topic Re: Cassini and Holmes
Cassini celebrated it's 10th birthday 3 weeks ago.

Let's hope it is allowed to stick to it's mission for another 10 years!

If it had to divert to looked at every passing fancy over the last 10 years I'm sure it would not be alive and kicking today.

If it ain't broke don't mess with it.

(Great pics from it on page 30+ of the December Sky & Telescope.)

Peter.

• DeirdreKelleghan
  • Topic Author
More
16 years 6 months ago #54316 by DeirdreKelleghan
Replied by DeirdreKelleghan on topic post
Hi Jeff

I do not mind you posting it on CN thanks.
It is now built into the FAQ on the Cassini website as other people asked the same question. So it is now freely available information.

Deirdre Kelleghan
Irish Astronomical Society

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds