K-Tec

Cork Robotic Telescopes AI Public Meeting

More
19 years 2 months ago #9514 by johnflannery
Replied by johnflannery on topic Re: Cork Robotic Telescopes AI Public Meeting

I'm getting a bit tired of all this AI bashing.

me too . . . this stuff is killing off the real threads on astronomy on the board. I had a reply to an item about the all-sky flashes that people were observing with some scientific discussion on the topic and it got shoved off the front page (where you only see the 5 most recent posts) by other nonsense about A.I. or some other twittering.

I know it's an open forum and people are entitled to moan about this, that and the other, but the site is becoming very hard to use because interesting threads are disappearing off the stack very quickly so people fail to see that a worthwhile topic has been active in recent days.

at the same time, there's more than A.I. that should be perceived as the "bad guys" (if that's what people see). Some members of an IFAS club seemed to think that they could make accusations against another group recently which I was shocked at. Granted, it was a case of telephone politics and not the stance of that club's Committee so the matter was resolved amicably. So I wouldn't tar and feather A.I. at this stage.

just my 50 cents worth.

John F.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 2 months ago #9516 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: Cork Robotic Telescopes AI Public Meeting
Personally, I don't see this as AI bashing. Posts about AI are inherently plain statements of fact or opinion. And that's what these boards are about.

I think pretty much everyone here has the interests of the hobby and the community at heart. It is because of this that some folks are prepared to stand up and express an opinion.

If everyone ignored those hot-potato issues for the sake of their sanity and so they would be viewed as an upstanding member who never rocked the boat, then I believe we would be doing a disservice to the hobby.

It really is a shame that IFAS and AS/AI cannot get along and doubly promote the hobby - I would for one be delighted if that were the case - but it isn't.

There haven't been any threads like this for a good few weeks and posts like this may well irritate those who prefer to not to get involved in the political discussion but that does not mean that those that do should be censured or classed as 'moaners'.

There are plenty of messages on this board that irritate me personally and I see them as a waste of space - but I would defend with my dying breath (drama!) the posters right to post them! The fact that I don't value the posts is totally irrelevent! There are plenty here that do value those posts and they are entitled to their space on these boards.

As a technical aside, can the 'recent post' list be expanded to say 10 or 15? I know that if you click on the 'community' link you get a much longer list.

Dave

More
19 years 2 months ago #9518 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: Cork Robotic Telescopes AI Public Meeting

me too . . . this stuff is killing off the real threads on astronomy on the board. I had a reply to an item about the all-sky flashes that people were observing with some scientific discussion on the topic and it got shoved off the front page (where you only see the 5 most recent posts) by other nonsense about A.I. or some other twittering.

what? There hasnt been any comments against AI for two months, centainly not 5 threads discussing it.

Current top 5 twitterings are:
* Einstein@Home Goes Live - By albertw
* Cork Robotic Telescopes AI Public Meeting - By dmcdona
* Tips on digital processing - By Seanie Morris
* Computer power problem - By Seanie Morris
* Commodore 64 Joystick - By Seanie Morris

All look like legitimate topics. Besides most people log in to the board and so all new posts are indicated.

As for general waffle that people have mentioned, I'm not sure this is that bad. Would you really rather perfer a board that had only a couple of terse essays posted a day, that would not have a very friendly atmosphere for new visitors. btw one of my new years resolutions was to cut down my own waffling on this board :)

People make it sound as though there is constant AI bashing going on here when there is not, it occasionally flares up and people complain that all thats ever discussed is AI!

Shanes post isn't even AI bashing. Personally I'm inclined to agree with Shane, AI advertising events should not be allowed, if they want to use IFAS then they should at least be willing to mention other peoples events (ILPAC/COSMOS). However on the rare occasion that there is an especially interesting talk that AI is running, then I don't see the harm in someone mentioning it.

If you want to go to thier Cork lecture then grand. While you are there you can ask about AI/A&S still not even giving a token of support to ILPAC or mentioning COSMOS etc. etc. Actually get the Cork AI folk to join CAC - issue solved ;-)

Cheers,
~Al

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
19 years 2 months ago #9519 by Perseus
Replied by Perseus on topic Re: Cork Robotic Telescopes AI Public Meeting
:? I thought this topic was about two new Scopes that will be up and running this year.

Anybody got any information on this?

More
19 years 2 months ago #9520 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: Cork Robotic Telescopes AI Public Meeting

:? I thought this topic was about two new Scopes that will be up and running this year.

Anybody got any information on this?

Nope. Mailed CIT and Cork co. co. for details of the project but got no response.

Cheers,
~Al

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

• Wallymee
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 years 2 months ago #9521 by Wallymee
Replied by Wallymee on topic Re: Cork Robotic Telescopes AI Public Meeting

albertw wrote:

btw one of my new years resolutions was to cut down my own waffling on this board :)

How's that going by the way? :roll:

Time to create page: 0.112 seconds