K-Tec

Cork Robotic Telescopes AI Public Meeting

More
19 years 2 months ago #9493 by finnjim2001
Replied by finnjim2001 on topic Re: Cork Robotic Telescopes AI Public Meeting

Re A&S Mag - their words not mine.

:oops:
sorry eugene a poor attempt at sarcasm :roll:

should try giving it up one of these days :?

Somedays you're the dog,
Somedays you're the lamp post.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Eugene Burke
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
19 years 2 months ago #9497 by Eugene Burke
Replied by Eugene Burke on topic Re: Cork Robotic Telescopes AI Public Meeting
Dont worry Finnjim,you'll get there :wink:
I might throw the spanner in the works and give my AI membership number,I think I still have it somewhere. :)

More
19 years 2 months ago #9499 by spculleton
Replied by spculleton on topic Re: Cork Robotic Telescopes AI Public Meeting
At the risk of becoming unpopular and starting another flaming war, I personally do not think it is appropriate to advertise and give notice of Astronomy & Space (trading as Astronomy Ireland) events here. This is not, in my opinion, a board for people to advertise all astronomical events in Ireland. I would gladly see AI events advertised here after A&S magazine starts alerting its subscribers to the various IFAS events taking place throughout the country. Will they advertise or inform about COSMOS? I'm not trying to be offensive, but I am being territorial.

Shane Culleton.

Dozo Yoroshiku Onegai Shimasu

More
19 years 2 months ago #9503 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: Cork Robotic Telescopes AI Public Meeting
Shane - I agree with you.

If A&S (trading as AI) promoted IFAS events, gave IFAS space at Astro Expo and generally operated in a quid pro quo environment, then we should have no problem with posting A&S (trading as AI) events here or in any other IFAS material.

However, A&S (trading as AI) doesn't operate in that environment. I knew nothing of IFAS until I stumbled on this website.

Whilst some, at first sight, will see this as perhaps petty and not-for-the-good-of-the-hobby, there must either be a two-way deal or no deal.

Call it territorial, bloody-minded, whatever. A&S (trading as AI) does IFAS no favours. We should not do A&S (trading as AI) any favours.

Of course, if an affiliation, joining, mutual support system *were* set up for the benefit of *all* Irish amateur astronomers, I'd be delighted.

My opinion.

Dave

• Wallymee
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 years 2 months ago #9511 by Wallymee
Replied by Wallymee on topic Re: Cork Robotic Telescopes AI Public Meeting
Here we go again!

I'm getting a bit tired of all this AI bashing.

Again I'm no fan but what harm are we doing by letting people from Cork or anywhere else know that there is an event coming up.

More
19 years 2 months ago #9513 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Cork Robotic Telescopes AI Public Meeting
Its not that there is any harm Wally, I think its the sensitivity. With respect to Eugene, I don't think he wants to be the cause of another flame war. I have spoken with him personally before, and he knows there are 2 divides on this subject, but I don't think he cares! He is just doing what he loves, helping promote astronomy! Its simple.

(seperate to Wally's post) But, as a person who has been personally on the NON-receiving end of Astronomy & Space (trading as Astronomy Ireland), I would concur that they should have no rights to advertise here whatsoever. If David Moore could not even acknowledge my exixtence as TAS Secretary last year by replying to any 1 of my 3 or 4 emails regarding Cosmos 2004, then to hell with A&S getting a mention of their events on any boards I am a paid-member of (under TAS), of which he refuses to be a member. Call it tit-for-tat if you like - he started it!

Thats my opinion,

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Time to create page: 0.111 seconds