IP Addresses

• dmcdona
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
16 years 11 months ago #46052 by dmcdona
IP Addresses was created by dmcdona
Folks - I'm installing my remote observatory control software and am having some problems figuring out IP addresses.

I have a DSL modem connected to the DSL line. This in turn is connected to a router. One networked PC connected to the router is running the observatory software (which includes web and ftp servers) .

I want to be able to give someone an IP address which they can type into a browser then logon to the observatory pc.

I can find the WAN ip (whatsmyip.com) address OK and I have configured the router to allow port forwarding to the observatory pc.

But it still ain't working.

Any hints on what I'm doing wrong would be helpful...

Cheers
Dave

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 11 months ago #46054 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: IP Addresses

Folks - I'm installing my remote observatory control software and am having some problems figuring out IP addresses.

I have a DSL modem connected to the DSL line. This in turn is connected to a router. One networked PC connected to the router is running the observatory software (which includes web and ftp servers) .

I want to be able to give someone an IP address which they can type into a browser then logon to the observatory pc.

I can find the WAN ip (whatsmyip.com) address OK and I have configured the router to allow port forwarding to the observatory pc.

Any hints on what I'm doing wrong would be helpful...

Cheers
Dave

You're stepping into a mine field here! You need to check with your ISP whether or not you have a static IP. If it's not static you'll have to re-check the address each time you give it out.

Internally how are you dealing with IP addresses? Are you letting your router act as a DHCP server or are you manually assigning private IP addresses? If you're using DHCP you'll have to manually assign the one in the observatory regardless. It will need to be hard-coded with the correct gateway and netmask and you'll have to pick an IP that is in the right subnet but outside the range the DHCP server assignes in. Then you are ready to set up your port-forwarding to the observatory.

Now, it has to be said that some protocols don't deal well with port forwarding. It simply may not be possible to make this work through a NAT router (like effectively all broadband routers are).

Good luck with it!

P.S. feel free to skype me some time for a chat about this.

Bart.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

More
16 years 11 months ago #46056 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: IP Addresses

That sounds like it should work. how are you testing it? If you are testing it inside your own network then it may fail due to routing problems.

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

• dmcdona
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
16 years 11 months ago #46058 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: IP Addresses

You're stepping into a mine field here!

You bet!

Unfortunaelty, I've yet to reinstall skype after the crash a few weeks back.

OK - my public IP address is dynamic (and that's fine - I understand this). But the issue seems to be that my public IP address is that of my DSL modem.

The DSL modem is connected to the Router which has its own private IP address (it also issues a static IP to the observatory PC). The observatory PC is setup in port-forwarding.

What seems to be confusing matters is my provider assigned IP address is assigned to the DSL modem (currently 78.16.26.12) - but the person who wants to connect to the observatory needs the router's ip address - right? or wrong?

Is the fact that I have a DSL moem conncted to a router complicating things? If so, what can I do to fix it (buy a better modem/router?)

Cheers
Dave

More
16 years 11 months ago #46060 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: IP Addresses

You bet!

OK - my public IP address is dynamic (and that's fine - I understand this). But the issue seems to be that my public IP address is that of my DSL modem.

The DSL modem is connected to the Router which has its own private IP address (it also issues a static IP to the observatory PC). The observatory PC is setup in port-forwarding.

What seems to be confusing matters is my provider assigned IP address is assigned to the DSL modem (currently 78.16.26.12) - but the person who wants to connect to the observatory needs the router's ip address - right? or wrong?

Is the fact that I have a DSL moem conncted to a router complicating things? If so, what can I do to fix it (buy a better modem/router?)

Cheers
Dave

Hi Dave,

What do you mean by "router" and what do you mean by "modem", are they the same device?

The normal situation is that your modem and router are one box. Like all routers this one box has two IP addresses, an outside address (your public one), and an inside address, also a private IP (usually 192.168.1.1).

What happens inside this magic box is that between the internal and the external interface Network Address Translation happens. This means that all packets destined for the outside world get stripped open, get their private address removed and the router's public address stuck in instead. In effect all machines inside your network appear to be your public address. This is fine for connections initiated from inside the LAN, this can't work for connections coming in from outside. "I have a packet for port 80 on some machine ... aaaah .... which one?" That's where port-forwarding comes in. It tells NAT that an incoming connection on port X should be translated to Y private IP address.

However, some protocols are wrapped inside TCP-IP. When NAT does network address translation it ONLY translated the outter TCP-IP layer, not the wrapped protocol. So, the packet arrives at the right machine, the TCP/IP stuff gets stripped off and then the result gets handed to the program in question. If the program then checks the destination address against it's address it will see a miss-match and will probably throw away the packet. Protocols like this are said not to be able to traverse a NAT router. If this is the case here you are hosed. Nothing you can do.

Were I to be you I'd start with a very simple test. I's install an apache web server on the observatory machine, make it run on port 8080, port-forward port 8080 to that mahcine and then get a friend from outside to see if they can hit your web server. If they can your setup is right. If they can't it's not. You won't be able to test this from inside in all possability because you are on the wrong side of the NAT router so routing funnyness will probably occour as Al said.

Bart.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

More
16 years 11 months ago #46061 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: IP Addresses

You bet!

Have a look at www.dyndns.com it gives you a hostname that shifts as your IP address does. Handy for giving people access to your home network, without having to mail them IP addresses the whole time.

Your modem will need to know where to send the packets. On my modem I can list the port (80 for http) I want forwarded and the destination in my network (the private IP address of your machine) I want it to be forwarded to.

So a user connects to 78.16.26.12 . The modem should see that it should forward that request to your PC. They don't need the IP of your router.

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds