K-Tec

IP Addresses

More
16 years 11 months ago #46100 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: IP Addresses

I think I'm ready to call it it a day and invest in a combined DSL modem/router.

Anything in particular I should be wary of or features I should demand?

Cheers
Dave

I think that's probably a good call. Best to keep things simple and your current setup certainly doesn't strike me as simple :(

I guess the main thing is just to be sure the DSL bit will work with your ISP. Also, in this day and age you should probably get integrated wireless and be dead sure the WiFi bit supports WPA2 because WEP is now totally totally broken and can be cracked in about 1 to 2 minutes.

Good luck!

Bart.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 11 months ago #46102 by michael_murphy
Replied by michael_murphy on topic Re: IP Addresses
Dave,

Sorry to here it didn't work. Getting a single device is right way to go. Bart's right about WEP you may as well not use it. If you do get a wireless device switch off the SSID broadcast (this will stop anybody with a wireless PC casually finding out about your network) and if you are not actually using the wireless network, switch it off. Remember, just because you're not paranoid, doesn't mean that they are not all out to get you :D

Michael.

• dmcdona
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
16 years 11 months ago #46108 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: IP Addresses
Success!

I popped down to PCWorld (spit) and managed to pick up a previously opened (but unused) DSL Router for 30 quid. Got a wirless notebook card thrown in for nowt as well - though I have wirelss disabled (not WPA2 Bart)

Whilst it has been tricky getting the settings right, all is now working OK.

Thanks to everyone for their input and help. Appreciate lads. That's what makes this site so cool. Especially now Bart has moved it to a brand new dual quad core Pentium iMac Pro...

Cheers
Dave

More
16 years 10 months ago #47615 by derrybawn
Replied by derrybawn on topic Re: IP Addresses
I've got a similar problem. I have an Irish Broadband Ripwave modem (wireless) connected to an SMC Barricade 7004 router via a LAN cable. It is supposed to do NAT.

Running 2 pcs side by side with one on an eircom dialup, I can do VNC from the broadband pc to the eircom pc, but not the other way around. I setup the SMC router to translate all the default services to the local ip of the machine.

From the eircom pc I'm using the format myIrishBroadbandIP:port with the port being the port address for the services setup in the router. I've tried all the port addresses for the services I setup (http, ftp etc). I'm not good on this stuff, but I can usually eventually figure it out. This has eluded me so far.

Anyone have any ideas on this? This is somthing I'd love to sort out.

Joe

More
16 years 10 months ago #47618 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: IP Addresses

I've got a similar problem. I have an Irish Broadband Ripwave modem (wireless) connected to an SMC Barricade 7004 router via a LAN cable. It is supposed to do NAT.

Running 2 pcs side by side with one on an eircom dialup, I can do VNC from the broadband pc to the eircom pc, but not the other way around. I setup the SMC router to translate all the default services to the local ip of the machine.

From the eircom pc I'm using the format myIrishBroadbandIP:port with the port being the port address for the services setup in the router. I've tried all the port addresses for the services I setup (http, ftp etc). I'm not good on this stuff, but I can usually eventually figure it out. This has eluded me so far.

Anyone have any ideas on this? This is somthing I'd love to sort out.

Joe

Opening up services to the world is very very dangerous. I'd suggest you investigate running a VPN, then you can get all ports from outside in a secure way.

I don't know how the ripwire router works so I can't really give much help.

Bart.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

More
16 years 10 months ago #47619 by michael_murphy
Replied by michael_murphy on topic Re: IP Addresses
Joe,

Subject to Bart's sound advice above, this should be possible.

I have a BT modem connected to a no name wireless router and have tested external VNC connections to my PC.

You need to get the broadband modem to port forward to the external address on the router (i.e. the router port connected to the broadband modem) and then get the router forward the same port to your PC. This is what I have done and it works for me.

As a first step it might be easier to connect your PC directly to the broadband modem and test that part out before bringing the router into the picture.

Michael.

Time to create page: 0.112 seconds