K-Tec

IP Addresses

More
16 years 11 months ago #46071 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: IP Addresses

But I don't see anything (obvious) in the Modem's setup page allowing me to do port forwarding... Its available on the router configuration page alright... I guess I need to get these two black boxes talking correctly to each other...

Ah ... now I see the problem. To get through to your observatory PC from the outside world you need to traverse two routers. The Modem is DEFINTIELY doing NAT, the router MAY be doing NAT. If you can't do portforwarding on the first step, i.e. the modem then the traffic cannot get to router to be forwarded any further. Think of it as water trying to flow down hill through two locks. You've opened the second lock but not the first so naturally no watter is flowing.

I'm at a loss as to why you need a router AND a modem. This seems like a very strange setup. If the modem doesn't do portforwarding then you need to replace it. I'd suggest you replace it with a more default configuration and just get a single ADSL router which can do everything for you.

Hope that helps,

Bart.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 11 months ago #46072 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: IP Addresses

I'm at a loss as to why you need a router AND a modem. This seems like a very strange setup. If the modem doesn't do portforwarding then you need to replace it. I'd suggest you replace it with a more default configuration and just get a single ADSL router which can do everything for you.

I need a router and a modem because my modem only has one ethernet port and no wireless :-)

Mind you I have everything on the one subnet which makes life easier.

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
16 years 11 months ago #46073 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: IP Addresses

I need a router and a modem because my modem only has one ethernet port and no wireless :-)

Mind you I have everything on the one subnet which makes life easier.

Then you need a switch! not a router! The two are very very very different things!

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

More
16 years 11 months ago #46076 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: IP Addresses

Then you need a switch! not a router! The two are very very very different things!

No no, I need a router. Just trust me ok :-)
Maybe I lied a little when I said it was all on the same subnet :-)

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
16 years 11 months ago #46077 by michael_murphy
Replied by michael_murphy on topic Re: IP Addresses

My DSL modem has the two address - private and public (LAN and WAN) alright. But I don't see anything (obvious) in the Modem's setup page allowing me to do port forwarding... Its available on the router configuration page alright... I guess I need to get these two black boxes talking correctly to each other...

Dave, you should be able to get it working by using modem port forwarding to the WAN address on the Router to the same port (to keep things simple).
You then get the router to forward that port to the PC.

Michael.

• dmcdona
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
16 years 11 months ago #46097 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: IP Addresses
Mike - I tried that but to no avail....

What I did try, and it caused major problems, was to change the router address.

The DSL modem address is 192.168.1.1 so I made the router 192.168.1.50 This casued serious problems so I reverted the router back to its original address.

I messed about with the modem NAT table to try and get it to see either the router or the Observatory PC - to no avail. The Obs pc is now given a static address by the router - so I thought that might help...

I've tried every combination of DSL modem address, port forwarding addresses, NAT addresses I can think of. I think I'm ready to call it it a day and invest in a combined DSL modem/router.

Anything in particular I should be wary of or features I should demand?

Cheers
Dave

Time to create page: 0.110 seconds