IP Addresses

• dmcdona
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
16 years 11 months ago #46062 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: IP Addresses
The DSL modem and Router are two seperate boxes. The modem is connected to the router by an ethernet or ethernet-like cable.

As it happens, the IP address of the modem has just changed to 194.125.105.23. When I put this IP address in *my* browser, it opens up the logon dialogue for the modem. Perhaps this is where I'm getting confused - I'm seeing one thing, but folks outside might see something else.

So, the DSL model has a dynamic address (currently as above). The Router has a private address of 192.168.1.33

The networked observatory PC has a *static* private address of 10.10.10.103. Other PC's on the network are DHCP assigned.

The router also has port forwarding setup for 10.10.10.103 (on a non-standard port - I'm not telling).

ACP - the observatory software, runs on the observatory PC. It has a web and FTP server. Included in the package is DDNS service from www.no-ip.com/ . The address I have been given is www.j65.my-sky.com . That makes the dynamic IP address a non-issue I hope. This must be working because it just figured out the IP address had been (dynamically) changed.

Both the modem and the router have configuration pages (and pages and pages....). Perhaps I've got some settings wrong...

Anyone getting an "aha!" moment?

Cheers

Dave

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 11 months ago #46063 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: IP Addresses
OK, alarm bells ringing here.

if your router is 192.168.1.33 then 10.10.10.103 is not in the same subnet. That is bound to cause problems unless you have some above-normal routing going on in your house. I's strongly recommend moving the static address for the observatory into the same subnet as 192.168.1.33, say, the very last address in the range, 192.168.1.254.

Bart.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

More
16 years 11 months ago #46064 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: IP Addresses
Actually, to save me making assumptions, can you show me the output of the command:

ipconfig/all

on a working DHCP assigned machine inside your network.

Bart.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

• dmcdona
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
16 years 11 months ago #46065 by dmcdona
D:\Documents and Settings\Dave>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : jupiter
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Home Office:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100+ Management Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-D0-B7-E5-2C-09
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.10.10.102
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.10.10.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.10.10.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.10.10.1
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 18 May 2007 12:31:14
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 25 May 2007 12:31:14

==============================================

Bart - I may be getting a bit confused here. According the DSL modem, these are the addresses it "sees":

DHCP starting address: 192.168.1.33
TCP/IP address 192.168.1.1

According to the router, this is what *it* sees:

LAN
IP Address
Subnet Mask
DHCP Server
Enabled

WAN
Connection
DHCP Client Connected
IP Address
Subnet Mask
Default Gateway
DNS

My brain is fried ... Perhaps yours can see the problem :D

Cheers
Dave

More
16 years 11 months ago #46067 by michael_murphy
Replied by michael_murphy on topic Re: IP Addresses
Dave,

EDIT: I didn't see the post with the ipconfig/all and I think if I'm reading it correctly my setup is similar to yours.

I have a similar broadband setup at home. DSL modem connected to a router which is then connected to my PCs. As a result of the way i have configured the devices I have two private networks. One which my PCs are on and a second which has the 'WAN' side of the router and the DSL modem.

My DSL modem has two addresses the internet/outside-world/public address and an internal address 192.168.1.1.

The router is connected to the 'inside' of the DSL modem and that has an address given by DHCP from the DSL modem (usually 192.168.1.2).

The other side of the router serves addresses to the PC on the network in the domain 192.168.0.?.

If i were to try what you were doing I believe I would have to get the DSL modem to forward to a port on the router (192.168.1.2) and then get the router to forward this to the actual PC.

I don't know if this makes any sense but the gist is that you might need to forward from DSL modem to router and then from router to network. Hopefully this would address and NAT issues.

Michael.

• dmcdona
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
16 years 11 months ago #46069 by dmcdona

I don't know if this makes any sense

It makes sense alright but I'm not sure how to achieve what you are suggesting.

My DSL modem has the two address - private and public (LAN and WAN) alright. But I don't see anything (obvious) in the Modem's setup page allowing me to do port forwarding... Its available on the router configuration page alright... I guess I need to get these two black boxes talking correctly to each other...

Bart - its no problem changing internal IP addresses if necessary. I had, at one point, wanted to vonnect to our work network and I used IP numbers for my own network as recommended by our network guy. Hence the non-standard addresses. But they're easily changed (I think...)

Cheers
Dave

Time to create page: 0.110 seconds