• michaeloconnell
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
19 years 6 months ago #5003 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: Online astrophotography
Hi Arnie,
Your offer is indeed very generous and certainly worth considering.
I've often seen your ads on Astromart and as a result I've taken a look at your website a few times.
I just took another look at your site but the link to the "User friendly browser interface" screenshot in the "first time users" section doesn't appear to work at present (404 error - the requested URL /ccd/AREO/Screen Shots/AREO_Screen_shots.htm was not found on this server)
I've just a quick question though which you may be able to answer:
Most are answered in your FAQ section:
www.arnierosner.com/are/Additional%20Info/FAQ/faq.html
Do I have to be at my computer at the time of the images or can I preset the commands and let the scope do the work while I'm asleep (I'm thinking here of time difference between US and Ireland)? Ideally of course I'd prefer to have direct control over the scope/camera but just curious if there is such an option?

Michael

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 6 months ago #5005 by arnierosner
Replied by arnierosner on topic Robotic Astronomy
Hi Michael,

Thank you for your interest. Also thanks for pointing out the broken link. We just moved our website to a new hosting service. I have already fixed it.

You can start a session and then leave it running on its own; it has a user option to select to have the system logoff at the completion of the session.

There is a scripting ability too but at this point it is in Beta andmay not be running on this version. We have not tested that function as yet.

Best regards,

Arnie

More
19 years 6 months ago #5008 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Online astrophotography
Arnie, it is very interesting indeed.

In fact, there is a pilot programme in Ireland called VTIE - Virtual Telescopes in Education. Maybe you have heard of it. Its not soley run in Ireland, but in conjunction on an academic level with relevant institutions around the world. As yet though, it is not available to regular Joe Soaps like us - but we have been promised!

I haven't looked at your website yet, but I would really like to get my feet wet!

Tell me this: is it a costly venture? Could an astronomical club (like the many in Ireland) take part, and have, e.g., 2 hours online, to allow its members to take part during a session to take a few pictures of their favourite deep sky objects and the like?

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
19 years 6 months ago #5012 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Online astrophotography

or is it a somewhat a distant and "artificial" way to take images?

Michael

I resent that!!!!

:twisted:

(private joke!)

Seanie.

ha ha, not as private as you night think :lol: :lol:

Arnie,
Thats a very impressive setup you have there, we have a club metting on Wednesday night and I'll mention it and we might have the club go online sometime in the near future, of course the time differance would be a problem doing it live, but I think Seanie's idea definitely holds alot of merit !!, what time does it get dark over there in November and December ??

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

• michaeloconnell
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
19 years 6 months ago #5015 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: Online astrophotography
One of the main problems I find with trying to do astro-imaging in Ireland is 1) price of equipment & 2) weather. This year, the weather has baan particularly unfavourable for astronomy.
By the sounds of it lads, you're both interested in this and I'm certainly game-on for getting my feet wet also.
Michael

More
19 years 6 months ago #5017 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Online astrophotography

This year, the weather has baan particularly unfavourable for astronomy.
By the sounds of it lads, you're both interested in this and I'm certainly game-on for getting my feet wet also.
Michael

Sorry Mike, but that is an awful pun...

:wink:

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Time to create page: 0.111 seconds