K-Tec

Digi Photo Filing

More
19 years 4 months ago #6992 by dpower
Replied by dpower on topic Re: Digi Photo Filing
Hmmm. I have IE and it didn't install the Google toolbar. I had read warnings about adware on Picassa, but after looking into it further I discovered that it serves quality reports to google if the thing crashes. Anyway, any decent firewall can restrict the programs access to the net.
If you need one of these let me know, you can get these free on the web too.

IFAS web team

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 4 months ago #6994 by finnjim2001
Replied by finnjim2001 on topic Re: Digi Photo Filing
personally i use zone alarm for both firewall and antivirus

www.zonelabs.com

Somedays you're the dog,
Somedays you're the lamp post.

More
19 years 4 months ago #6996 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: Digi Photo Filing
I dont bother much anymore, just burn to dvd and forget!

What I did do for a while was put the EXIF data in the image into a database, along with a link to the image and a link to the thumbnail of it.

Then had a script that would query this database and display a page of thumbnails matching the query with links to the full images.

I'll dig it up when I get around to fixing my PC if anyones interested. Needs mysql and php, it was fairly basic but could be developed into something more useful.

Cheers,
~Al

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

• Paul FitzGerald
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
19 years 4 months ago #7007 by Paul FitzGerald
Replied by Paul FitzGerald on topic Re: Digi Photo Filing
All that's a great help, thanks.

Michael O'C:
Your 2nd h/drive - details please:
- is this a seperate unit?/cost?/which type is better?.

I presume you also make hard copies, and I suppose as long as you can view these on PC, you're fine.

My problem with this is that while I'm on my pc at home, then all's honky dorey. But what if I want, in the traditional manner, to show a set of pics to relations and friends in their house e.g. on their DVD player?
(albertw - this is where it DVD issue fits in).

Is it necessary to burn a fresh cd for each specific set e.g. I only want that set to be seen by that audience?
I hope not, as I thought I would be getting away from volume filing - I have years of film photos to get thro' as it is!! I don't need a volume set of cds too! Or is that the way it must be? :?

I suppose the remedy is to bring a laptop with you, or have a PC available there?

Obviously, there are questions I'm not aware of yet, as with the options, as it's all new to me.

What I would like to know is what is the norm in this realm?
What is the handiest, the most foolproof method?

Again, thanks.

Paul Fitz
MAC Treasurer

'Astronomy shows how small and insignificant and rare and precious we all are.' - Contact.

More
19 years 4 months ago #7008 by James Butler
Replied by James Butler on topic Re: Digi Photo Filing
As others do, I save by date. An astrophoto needs an associated date and time (UTC). Photos should preferably be in a raw format such as Canon RAW or BMP. Not JPEG. Though if that is not a choice then the least compression possible.

I download from the camera in RAW and then convert to BMP, which is what I manipulate in Paint Shop Pro. I keep the original RAW in case I learn something new and want to try again.

The only time I use JPEG is when I put something on the net for others to look at then bandwidth dictates over image quality.

RAWs, BMPs and final images are saved to separate CDs when processing is complete. The RAW or original BMP is never cropped or altered in anyway.

Canon RAWs also have an associated ISO, aperture, lens detail file which is necessary for determining what went wrong or right during the photo session.

James Butler

Astronomy Diary - astronomy-diary.blogspot.com/

More
19 years 4 months ago #7009 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: Digi Photo Filing

I download from the camera in RAW and then convert to BMP, which is what I manipulate in Paint Shop Pro.

Rather than BMP you might like to try PNG format. This like BMP is a losless format, but does include compression so the images tend to be smaller than BMP's.

www.libpng.org/pub/png/ has the technical details.

Most image programs support it.

The one thing I cant find out offhand is whether PNG supports storing the EXIF info (exposure, camera, date etc.). I'm not sure that BMP supports theis either.

Cheers,
~Al

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds