K-Tec

Sky and Telescope late

More
15 years 7 months ago #72748 by Frank Ryan
Replied by Frank Ryan on topic Re:Sky and Telescope late
Why don't just unsubscribe and explain that the service is crap?

My Astrophotography
Shannonside Astronomy Club __________________________________________
Meade ETX-125PE, Bresser 10 x 50 Binos & Me Peepers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 7 months ago #72751 by ayiomamitis
Replied by ayiomamitis on topic Re:Sky and Telescope late
John,

I was not aware that there is a new distribution source (now in France). Anyway, my October issue is over three weeks late ... slowly but surely S&T is on a downward path. :(

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

More
15 years 7 months ago #72754 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re:Sky and Telescope late
Barberskum wrote:

Why don't just unsubscribe and explain that the service is crap?

Hmmm - yes, I guess as well as being late they wasted a whole A4 colour page on some muppet from Ireland called Frank who took a picture of a rock. I'll definitely be cancelling unless they improve the quality... :dry:

• JohnONeill
  • Topic Author
  • Red Giant
  • Red Giant
More
15 years 7 months ago #72762 by JohnONeill
Replied by JohnONeill on topic Re:Sky and Telescope late
Hi,

A few quick thoughts:

I am subscribing to S&T since I was a teenager (33 years!) and much that I have learned in Astronomy has come from that source.

I think in the Internet World magazines have difficulty adjusting, they have yet to discover the online/print divide.

If you look through a S&T issue, say 20-30 years ago, you will see about 10 or more diverse main articles (some very substantial) and detailed book reviews (more like mini articles). Today there are only about 3 main articles.

Part of the problem is that so much is free (to the consumer) on the Internet (including IFAS doing this forum). This impacts on subscriptions to magazines and financial ability to keep going.

Another problem is more competition from more popular magazines. Notice the prominence in S&T of Imperial Units, there have been some articles recently that don't even have the metric units in brackets, its hard to take a science article seriously and makes it difficult to use as a resource.

John

John

More
15 years 7 months ago #72768 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re:Sky and Telescope late
Fair point in some regard John, but I also disagree. If SandT can't rise to the occasion and print more decent articles penned by authors with originality instead of taking pieces from online sources, then they shouldn't be publishing a magazine. It's not about "Ooh, what's up there this month?", it should be more like "Well, lets making looking up this month different from every other month".

Gone are all the freelance submissions from writers sharing experiences and loosing all the technical jargon to keep it interesting. That's what lost it for me for astronomy magazines years ago. The only one I have little faith left in is Astronomy Now. Its articles still feel like thay have a personal touch more times over SandT. But I still don't buy it by far on a regular basis. In fact, I don't buy any, because none of them SATISFY me after I've paid the cover charge.

Ad-driven, untimely, out of date, plethora of uninteresting articles is what I see.

Slightly disgruntled,

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
15 years 7 months ago #73106 by stepryan
Replied by stepryan on topic Re:Sky and Telescope late
has anyone got the october issue yet?. the september one arrived late and so far the october one has yet to turn up. it has gone from one extreme be 2 to 3 weeks early to not appearing at all.

Time to create page: 0.101 seconds