K-Tec

I'd just like to say

More
16 years 3 months ago #61660 by dmolloy
Replied by dmolloy on topic Re: I'd just like to say
well done lads, as PJ says, you are wealth of useful information (unlike myself, who has been accused of the exact opposite)

and those of you out there in the ether..Moderators who moderate in a moderate way...yiss are doing a grand job

Declan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 3 months ago #61667 by fguihen
Replied by fguihen on topic Re: I'd just like to say
I have no problem paying a reasonable subscription to the site and I doubt most of the regular visitors would either. There is such a wealth of advice and expirience on this site. its also a terriffic way for all the clubs to keep in touch. if a small fee was introduced, we all know it would be to cover running costs and I for one am ok with that.

"Success is the happy feeling you get between the time you do something and the time you tell a woman what you did." Dilbert.

More
16 years 3 months ago #61671 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: I'd just like to say

That is why we try to keep things astronomical-only here (sorry to the Newbies who think I was a prat moderating threads and passing comments on useless threads, this is the reason).

Or as I like to put it - stop posting crap! The signal to noise ratio has been going up a notch or two here recently!

Cheers,
~Al (grumpy moderator going to start deleting posts! :twisted: )

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
16 years 3 months ago #61676 by artyfarty
Replied by artyfarty on topic Re: I'd just like to say

I have no problem paying a reasonable subscription to the site and I doubt most of the regular visitors would either. There is such a wealth of advice and expirience on this site. its also a terriffic way for all the clubs to keep in touch. if a small fee was introduced, we all know it would be to cover running costs and I for one am ok with that.

I agree with you on the idea of voluntarily helping to fund the site, I visit every day and although I don't post much I enjoy reading and looking at the contributions of others. Therefore I'd happily pay X amount for this privilege but I would caution against forcing this on everyone.

I think that one of the strengths of the site is that ANYONE can view the material here and post questions about astronomy. The friendliness and quick, clear answers that they receive from the boards members I think helps them to see that this is a hobby that they could become more interested in and also might spur them into visiting their local astronomy club.

If you force a subscription I think you will possibly lose potential members of this board and of their local clubs.

MODS - Off topic I know sorry, is this something you'd like to break into a new thread for discussion?

More
16 years 3 months ago #61701 by Keith g
Replied by Keith g on topic Re:
Glad you are here Paul !!!!!

have no problem paying a reasonable subscription to the site and I doubt most of the regular visitors would either. There is such a wealth of advice and expirience on this site. its also a terriffic way for all the clubs to keep in touch. if a small fee was introduced, we all know it would be to cover running costs and I for one am ok with that.

Me too :P

Keith..

More
16 years 3 months ago #61707 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: I'd just like to say

If you force a subscription I think you will possibly lose potential members of this board and of their local clubs.

Relax, there are NO PLANS to introduce a subscription for the site, there is a paypal donate button the the front page if you wish to help pay for the website hosting.

I agree Al, the amount of static has increased recenty, we generally dont inhibit non-relevant posts but if we exceed our bandwidth limits, then we'll have to do something about it or risk the site going down.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

Time to create page: 0.118 seconds