Total Solar Eclipse 2008 - Russia

• ayiomamitis
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
17 years 1 month ago #42451 by ayiomamitis
Replied by ayiomamitis on topic Re: Total Solar Eclipse 2008 - Russia

Is this trip gonna cost the world or what?
As far as I've seen myself and heard at the Galway Starparty it's mad money?

Frank,

One thing about money is that you can't take it with you when the fateful moment comes (Greek expression). Therefore, spend it and enjoy it the best way you know how!!!!

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 1 month ago #42466 by jhoare
Replied by jhoare on topic Re: Total Solar Eclipse 2008 - Russia

Should be warm on August first for the eclipse, has anyone been able to figure out the cloud expectancy there at that time ?

See sunearth.gsfc.nasa.gov/eclipse/SEmono/TS...au/TSE2008-fig10.GIF .

The best chance of clear skies is in the Xinjiang province of Northwest China.

John

Better that old people should die of talk than to have young people die in war.

More
17 years 1 month ago #42469 by Frank Ryan
Replied by Frank Ryan on topic Re: Total Solar Eclipse 2008 - Russia

Is this trip gonna cost the world or what?
As far as I've seen myself and heard at the Galway Starparty it's mad money?

Frank,

One thing about money is that you can't take it with you when the fateful moment comes (Greek expression). Therefore, spend it and enjoy it the best way you know how!!!!

I totally agree.... It may be something to work t' woards....

My Astrophotography
Shannonside Astronomy Club __________________________________________
Meade ETX-125PE, Bresser 10 x 50 Binos & Me Peepers

More
17 years 1 month ago #42471 by SunCrazy
Replied by SunCrazy on topic Re: Total Solar Eclipse 2008 - Russia

The best chance of clear skies is in the Xinjiang province of Northwest China.

yes, but getting there would all together a total logistic nightmare ... NW China is very rural and mountainous.... and not very much developed yet.
Also I think papers and customes related Russia will be easier than China...you start explaining some paranoid border official in China that that spotterscope you are carrying is actually to watch an eclipse....

More
17 years 1 month ago #42497 by jhoare
Replied by jhoare on topic Re: Total Solar Eclipse 2008 - Russia
That's a very last century impression of China. The modern PRC is very interested in any and every event that provides an opportunity to develop its tourist industry and is very much aware of the value to the trade of the 2008 eclipse, and border officials are kept well informed.

The eclipse path through Xinjiang province is not very far from the old Silk Road and the Chinese rail link between the Trans Siberian Express route and Beijing. I would seek advice in the first instance from the tourism office at the Chinese Embassy. It shouldn't be particularly hard to arrange (or find a reliable agency to arrange) connections from Beijing by air to local airports and buses or by train and bus, first to a hotel near the line that would act as a base camp, then to a viewing location on the day.

Novosibirsk is definitely easier to get to and would be easier to organise. But Xinjiang province would provide improved odds of actually seeing the eclipse.

I have other priorities for spending this year and next, unfortunately, so I'm only offering this as food for thought.

John

Better that old people should die of talk than to have young people die in war.

More
17 years 1 month ago #42512 by cobyrne
Replied by cobyrne on topic Re: Total Solar Eclipse 2008 - Russia

Also I think papers and customes related Russia will be easier than China...you start explaining some paranoid border official in China that that spotterscope you are carrying is actually to watch an eclipse....

I've been to China twice now, and I've never experienced any immigration or customs hassle (apart from a bit of queueing). I would recommend that you get your Chinese visa from the embassy in Dublin before travelling - they will take your passport off you for a week or so while they process your application, though for a bit more money you can get it done in a day or so. As for customs - it's no more complicated than any other country. You have to fill out a declaration and hand it to the customs official at the border.

My experience of China is of an ultra modern country though, granted, I've only ever really been to Shanghai (which is a totally amazing ultra-modern city - probably the most modern city I've ever been in).

So, if you pick China, be prepared to be pleasantly surprised.

Moderators: Neill
Time to create page: 0.116 seconds