K-Tec

Total Solar Eclipse 2008 - Russia

More
17 years 1 month ago #42538 by johnomahony
Replied by johnomahony on topic Re: Total Solar Eclipse 2008 - Russia
Anthony

I checked again and this flight is a connection via Moscow. They do have German contacts around Novosibirsk with local knowledge. When I find out more I will post the details-it is still in the planning stages.

John

The Lord giveth, the Revenue taketh away. (John 1:16)

www.flickr.com/photos/7703127@N07/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ayiomamitis
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
17 years 1 month ago #42542 by ayiomamitis
Replied by ayiomamitis on topic Re: Total Solar Eclipse 2008 - Russia
Hi John,

Even with a connection in Moscow, it is still good since the delay will be minimal (an hour maybe?).

As for accomodation etc, many thanks!

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

More
17 years 1 month ago #42551 by pulsar
Replied by pulsar on topic Re: Total Solar Eclipse 2008 - Russia
Just a suggestion, has anybody ever tried to connect a telephoto lens to a webcam? I have, and it works surprisingly well, and would be perfect for such customs bother, and it is small and easy to pack!!!

===========================
Daniel
Did I ever tell you about my universal theory?
U=MB. The Universe is just one big milk bottle!
www.pulsar.co.nr

More
17 years 1 month ago #42589 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Total Solar Eclipse 2008 - Russia
Guys,
great to see that you were keeping the thread going over the weekend. We (IFAS reps) were also discussing it at the meeting on Saturday night at Cosmos. Apparently (and I'm sure I'll be corrected once the minutes are presented) Terry Moseley know a chap in Scottland (John Brown?) who has direct contacts in Novosibirsk. The likely avenue is to treat the trip as a short holiday to the area (5 days), and take in the Eclipse as a bonus. The reason being because of ever-changing weather conditions over there. Things were more certain in Turkey to make it an official eclipse trip.

Also, Brown's contact, who works in the University over there, is likely to see if the campus accommodation would be available. It was also mentioned that apartments are available in Novo for about €60 a night, and they could accommodate people sharing (take turns using beds and sleeping bags!) to keep the cost down.

We just have to wait and see. The flights are another matter, which you guys here seem to have been looking into already!

Nothing came up about the camping... ;)

Seanie.
(so far, off the hook as bear bait!)

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
17 years 1 month ago #42814 by JohnONeill
Replied by JohnONeill on topic Scouting the Eclipse
Hi,

Maybe someone might do a recce at Novosibirsk on Monday (19th Mar.) and catch the 81% magnitude partial eclipse. Perhaps it would make a nice St Patrick's weekend trip!

John

More
17 years 1 month ago #42815 by Paul FitzGerald
Replied by Paul FitzGerald on topic Re: Scouting the Eclipse

Hi,

Maybe someone might do a recce at Novosibirsk on Monday (19th Mar.) and catch the 81% magnitude partial eclipse. Perhaps it would make a nice St Patrick's weekend trip!

John

I look forward to hearing how you get on John. :lol:

Paul Fitz
MAC Treasurer

'Astronomy shows how small and insignificant and rare and precious we all are.' - Contact.

Moderators: Neill
Time to create page: 0.132 seconds