K-Tec

Total Solar Eclipse 2009

More
14 years 11 months ago #78334 by JohnONeill
Replied by JohnONeill on topic Re:Total Solar Eclipse 2009
Hi,

Now exactly two months to go until 22 July 2009 (I said eclipses come around fast!).

Anthony, hope you got all your equipment sorted and ready to go.

Bernie, Dan, bon voyage on the Mayhugh Cruise.

I have my plan in place, mostly visual but also photographic and video. If its cloudy Plan B swings into operation - someone suggested going to the Irish Pub in Shanghai, but I will video the shadow on the clouds.

I have made a list of about twenty phenomena that can be experienced and are unique to totality. I could list them, but how many can you think of?

John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 11 months ago #78335 by johnflannery
Replied by johnflannery on topic Re:Total Solar Eclipse 2009
1. Camera flashes going off
2. Drivers turning on their headlights and zooming by ... "Really, how inconvenient the Sun is in eclipse while I'm trying to get from A to B."
3. Setting up under halogen lamps which are then switched on mid-totality by well-meaning restaurant staff so those "astrologers" can see what they are doing during the eclipse
4. MIG fighters screaming overhead and frightening the bejapurs out of you
5. Cold and alone ...

B)

More
14 years 11 months ago #78340 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re:Total Solar Eclipse 2009
6. Sundogs
7. Spoon colanders
8. Someone shouting "First Contact!" about 5 mins too early

More
14 years 11 months ago #78346 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re:Total Solar Eclipse 2009
Out of curiosity, for those going on a ship and if you have good sea conditions, what are the chances of viable imaging ??

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
14 years 11 months ago #78361 by JohnONeill
Replied by JohnONeill on topic Re:Total Solar Eclipse 2009
Dave,

When I did the 1998 eclipse at sea off Curacao I used the 70mm Pronto. Focal length 480mm (f/6.8).

There were some people there with focal lengths of 1000mm and more, but I think its best to stay with shorter focal lengths. Also I only went to 1/8th second for the longest exposure. I used Ektachrome 400 slide film. I got reasonable results.

The swell in the Pacific may be different than the Caribbean.

Also, don't neglect (as I often do) wide angle shots, they can be very pleasing,

John

• ayiomamitis
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
14 years 11 months ago #78362 by ayiomamitis
Replied by ayiomamitis on topic Re:Total Solar Eclipse 2009
ayiomamitis wrote:

Hi John,

This year I hope to be more prepared. My intention was to fly with Gulf Air but I received an email a few days ago announcing changes to their limits for frequent flyer members and where the limit for new signees was lowered from 30 kg to 20 kg. I was very disappointed and I had no choice but to investigate elsewhere. Emirates Airlines also has a 30 kg limit but at a slightly more expensive price (their flight schedule is also better). If I can get my mount and tripod under 30 kg total weight (ex. Celestron CG5 mount and tripod), I am all set. If this does not work for any reason, I will bring along a lady friend and use her weight allowances to haul my toys.

Emirates has lowered their ticket pricing to under 700 euro and just a few euro difference from last year's Novo excursion with Aeroflot. This eclipse will cost under 850 euro once everything is said and done.

For anyone still sitting on the fence, be on the lookout for some really good pricing and especially in light of the economic turmoil.

Anthony.

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

Moderators: Neill
Time to create page: 0.124 seconds