K-Tec

Perseids Meteor Shower 2009 - August 12th

More
14 years 9 months ago #80301 by jeyjey
All clouds here, both Wed and Thurs nights. Thurs started to clear around sunset, but by the time it was dark the clouds were back.

-- Jeff. (mid-Louth)

Nikon 18x70s / UA Millennium                              Colorado:
Solarscope SF70 / TV Pronto / AP400QMD             Coronado SolarMax40 DS / Bogen 055+3130
APM MC1610 / Tak FC-125 / AP1200GTO               Tak Mewlon 250 / AP600EGTO

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 9 months ago #80331 by Mike
I have combined the video still images of meteors using Mira PRO software taken from my north video camera and the west video camera from my location in Meath from 10th august to 12th august (11th was clouded out for me).

The north cam is centred on Polaris while the west cam has elevation of ~60 degrees, you can see the star trail of Vega. Hopefully next year won’t be as clouded out for the Perseids.

farm4.static.flickr.com/3575/3823234892_716d71d585_o.jpg
farm4.static.flickr.com/3527/3823234890_8e0c4030f3_o.jpg

Clear skies
Mike

I83 Cherryvalley Observatory

After one look at this planet any visitor from outer space would say; "I WANT TO SEE THE MANAGER".

More
14 years 9 months ago #80333 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re:Perseids Meteor Shower 2009 - August 12th
Cool pictures Mike, thanks for putting them up.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
14 years 9 months ago #80334 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re:Perseids Meteor Shower 2009 - August 12th
Interesting pics Mike!
I'd be interested to learn more about your setup.

Michael.

More
14 years 9 months ago #80336 by Mike
No Problem Dave, glad you liked them.
Sure thing Michael, you can me PM for more details, I would be glad to share information.

Clear skies
Mike

I83 Cherryvalley Observatory

After one look at this planet any visitor from outer space would say; "I WANT TO SEE THE MANAGER".

More
14 years 9 months ago #80337 by eansbro
Replied by eansbro on topic Re:Perseids Meteor Shower 2009 - August 12th
Mike,

Well done! thats a very useful composite of the meteors. Have you checked out if the radiant is in the same position as last year? Or may be, you weren't up and running in 2008.

I can see this is an opportunity for the IFAS AOP to attempt a wider distribution of cameras around the southeren part of Ireland. The only meteor stations I know of are Larne, Armagh, Rathmoylan (Co. Meath) and Kingsland (Co Roscommon). Unfortunately, I didn't have my camera system operational in time. There needs to be a better distribution, in particular, the Munster area have no cameras operating as far as I know. Locations like Cork,
Wexford, Tipperary and Limerick are needed. The reason for having a distribution is for overlap, triagulation for fireballs and meteors, etc

The meteor's position against the stars can be plotted by two or more observing stations at sites at least 40 km or so apart,in fact the wider the better, it may be possible to calculate the meteor's height above the surface by triangulation. This can also be done far more accurately if the meteor has been imaged, and if at least one image was taken by video, or another method allowing a velocity estimate, it may be possible to compute the meteoroid's orbit before it entered the Earth's atmosphere. With fireballs, if enough observers record accurate positional information for the meteor, it is sometimes possible to calculate an approximate atmospheric trajectory, and because these very bright meteors can drop meteorites, it may even be practical to try to recover any such fallen objects, if an atmospheric path can be worked-out. Hence having a wider distribution of stations around Ireland.

I know that the BAA Meteor section has a lack of data from the west of the UK. This data can be collated and then published. All meaningful scientific information. It's so inexpensive now to set up cameras linked to your own computer.

Eamonn A

www.kingslandobservatory.com J62

Moderators: Neill
Time to create page: 0.112 seconds