K-Tec

Perseids Meteor Shower 2009 - August 12th

More
14 years 8 months ago - 14 years 8 months ago #80360 by Vagelis Tsamis
Replied by Vagelis Tsamis on topic Re:Perseids Meteor Shower 2009 - August 12th
Hi Michael and friends,
Long time no see!!

The Perseids video is not by SPOSH, it is by my Watec camera.
You can see technical info at: www.kucera.de/Produkte/Videoueberwachung..._902H2_Ultimate.html
I used an ultrawide 3.5 mm Computar lens and a GPS video time inserter.

The SPOSH is another story. If you follow the links you will get an idea. Really amazing piece of equip. There are only 4 prototypes developed by Yena Optronic - DLR www.rssd.esa.int/index.php?project=METEOR&page=sposh . 2 were observing from Greece and 2 from Austria (double stations for defining meteor trajectories). A beta Infrared version (wow) is being developed by the germans lately.
They are basically 14-bit CCDs developed to aquire FITS every some fraction of a second. The lens used has a 120 degree field, so they capture almost everything that enters the atmosphere and is above 30 deg alt, eg. if they are pointing to zenith. Their meteor capturing ability is extraordinary. Very clear pics of the sky, hi-res photos of stars, meteors etc. They promiseed to send me some FITS next week or so and I will post them.

It seems the germans aquired very good data, needless to say they enjoyed a good hospitality, so we expect them to come to Greece again for the Perseids or possibly other meteor showers, too. The weather and climate here permit good data aquisition!

Dr Apostolos Christou was the heart, soul and mind for organizing these observations and inviting the germans!

By the way, probably the next IMC (Intl Meteor Conf.) in 2010 will be held in Armagh Observatory, hosted by my good friend Apostolos and colleagues, so this is a good chance for me to visit Ireland!

Vagelis

Sparta Astronomy Association / Observations Coordinator
International Occultation Timing Association / European Section, www.iota-es.de/
Last edit: 14 years 8 months ago by Vagelis Tsamis.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 8 months ago - 14 years 8 months ago #80361 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re:Perseids Meteor Shower 2009 - August 12th
Hi Vagelis,

Thanks for the info. I would love to see the results from SPOSH when they become available.
I would like to see how it compares side-by-side to your camera.

In terms of your camera, if I understand correctly, the Watec 902H2 Ultimate is sold as a camera body only - is that correct?
Did you have much difficulty getting a power supply and video cables etc?
Mind me asking where you got the 3.5 mm Computar lens? - I don't see them on eBay.
Is there any significant difference between the WAT-902H2 ULTIMATE (EIA) and the WAT-902H2 ULTIMATE (CCIR)?

I've just acquired a s/h ICOM PCR-1000 scanner (in the post) for recording radio reflections from meteors. Eventual plan would be to have a station which records data and uploads it directly to the web. I don't think there's too many places in Ireland recording this sort of data so it may be useful and interesting. With the bad weather we have had this year, I think radio astronomy might be the only hope we have. :-(
At some stage though, it would be cool to complement it with a meteor cam (if the sky ever clears!).

It would be GREAT to have you guys over here!! : cheer:
Keep us informed of your plans!

Regards & Thanks,

Michael.
Last edit: 14 years 8 months ago by michaeloconnell.

More
14 years 8 months ago - 14 years 8 months ago #80363 by Vagelis Tsamis
Michael,

EIA is the NTSC version, CCIR is the PAL version.
Lens is model TG3Z3510FCS: computarganz.com/product_view.cfm?product_id=532
Yes, Watecs are sold as a camera body only. No problem at all powering them. Just 12V DC.
"side-by-side to my camera"? Well, my camera costs, say, 350 euros, a SPOSH costs 50,000 euros ;)
Cool you 've got an ICOM PCR-1000! It is on our future plans to do some radioastronomy, so please keep us informed of your steps! There are cloudy nights here, too, but also consider daylight meteor showers, eg the Arietids.
It would be great to meet all you guys again in Ireland, maybe during late 2009 - early 2010. We 'll see.

PS: "Have you guys considered going on the next one or will you take a break for a few years?" Hey, next one is near Tahiti 2010/07/11, how could we ever miss that? :)

Vagelis

International Occultation Timing Association / European Section, www.iota-es.de/
Last edit: 14 years 8 months ago by Vagelis Tsamis.

More
14 years 8 months ago - 14 years 8 months ago #80368 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re:Perseids Meteor Shower 2009 - August 12th
Vagelis Tsamis wrote:

Michael,

EIA is the NTSC version, CCIR is the PAL version.
Lens is model TG3Z3510FCS: computarganz.com/product_view.cfm?product_id=532
Yes, Watecs are sold as a camera body only. No problem at all powering them. Just 12V DC.

Thanks for the info.

Vagelis Tsamis wrote:

"side-by-side to my camera"? Well, my camera costs, say, 350 euros, a SPOSH costs 50,000 euros ;)

WOW, bit of a difference eh! : cheer:

Vagelis Tsamis wrote:

Cool you 've got an ICOM PCR-1000! It is on our future plans to do some radioastronomy, so please keep us informed of your steps!
There are cloudy nights here, too, but also consider daylight meteor showers, eg the Arietids.

I'll keep you informed.

Vagelis Tsamis wrote:

Hey, next one is near Tahiti 2010/07/11, how could we ever miss that?

errr...the bank manager perhaps! : cheer:
It's a long long distance there and very expensive. I'm not sure I can make that one.

MIchael.
Last edit: 14 years 8 months ago by michaeloconnell.

More
14 years 8 months ago #80380 by Frank Ryan
Replied by Frank Ryan on topic Re:Perseids Meteor Shower 2009 - August 12th
Vagelis & Yiannis - Wonderful videos and work both with
the Solar Eclipse and Perseids.
Thanks for posting them.
It was great to see you all together again enjoying the event.
Your location at the lake was a very good choice!
:)

My Astrophotography
Shannonside Astronomy Club __________________________________________
Meade ETX-125PE, Bresser 10 x 50 Binos & Me Peepers

More
14 years 8 months ago #80382 by Vagelis Tsamis
Hi Frank? How are you?
I hope to meet again soon!
Well, it looks like the lakes bring luck to us. Maybe next time we should try an atol!
(You know, you swim inside the atol or you are being lazy watching the sun in binos and tahiti girls dance for you, and right outside the atol sharks patrol for a lucky bite!)

Moderators: Neill
Time to create page: 0.114 seconds