K-Tec

Blood Red Aurora 25/10

More
12 years 6 months ago #91040 by Paul Evans
Replied by Paul Evans on topic Re: Aurora tonight
Lovely shots Ronan! We on the eastern side of the island were clouded out this time but there will be other opportunities - Solar Cycle 24 is certainly delivering the goods now with, I'm sure, much more to come!

Clear skies,

Paul.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• R Newman
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
12 years 6 months ago #91044 by R Newman
Replied by R Newman on topic Re: Aurora tonight
Hi and thanks for all the comments, sorry everyone else did not get to see this. As usual last night was clear just like last time we had a superb aurora above the clouds. I was extremely lucky, I had dense fog to my south and east and thick low cloud to my north. Not the most amazing aurora I have ever seen, I remember the pulsating aurora of March 30 2002 and of course the Halloween storms of 2003. But what really hit me was the intense red sky and it came out really well in the photos. And later in the night it was the greens.

I have tried a hand at processing maybe someone can do better with the originals if they want but are at www.flickr.com/photos/59795074@N07/show/

I actually think I missed the best part of the display. As I pulled over when driving home there were lots of rays extending high into Ursa Minor, Draco but no camera and when I got home was in cloud so had to double back.

Ronan Newman

I as not the only person to see it, it was seen from Spiddal and a woman from north of Ennis said she saw it member of SAC I think.

More
12 years 6 months ago #91045 by mykc
Replied by mykc on topic Re: Aurora tonight
Lovely images Ronan, I'm deeply envious (where's the emoticon for envy?). Fingers crossed that Sol will continue to deliver. I have signed up for free alerts from AuroraWatch ( aurorawatch.lancs.ac.uk/ ) and they did indeed send an 'red alert', but it was past my bedtime, and totally overcast to boot. :-(

Mike

Skywatcher 120 mm ED on a CG5 mount.
Orion UK 300mm Dobsonian

More
12 years 6 months ago #91051 by daveg
Replied by daveg on topic Re: Aurora tonight

dont be shy i know you got more last night... heres my magnetometer plot showing another pulse yestrday evening that Ronan imaged too. this seemed to be very localised as the Kp remained low throughout

Daveg
Attachments:

More
12 years 6 months ago #91052 by daveg
Replied by daveg on topic Re: Aurora tonight
btw email me the pics n ill have a go

DG

• R Newman
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
12 years 6 months ago #91055 by R Newman
Replied by R Newman on topic Re: Aurora tonight
What was the maximum KP on your machine Dave? As i said this intense green glow on the northern horizon went on all night so did the KP stay high all night. www.flickr.com/photos/59795074@N07/6282886362/ Ronan

Moderators: Neill
Time to create page: 0.120 seconds