K-Tec

Venus Transit 2012

More
11 years 11 months ago #93983 by stevie
Replied by stevie on topic Re: Venus Transit ?
The NIAAS will also be somewhere on the Antrim Coast road for this event, weather permitting, although we have not made a final decision yet as to where exactly we will be.

I'm sure Paul (larneastro) would agree with me if I say that we would be delighted to have some of you guys come up and join us.

The long range weather forecast is for a good start to June. Temperatures are forecast to rise considerably in the coming week. Now we all know that long range weather forecasts are as much use as an catflap on a submarine, but I thought I would inject an air of optimism into the proceedings.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 11 months ago #93985 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: Venus Transit ?
Hi Dave,

Dave_Lillis wrote: Given the right weather conditions, there are a number of us who are going to travel for this, where are the clubs in Dublin and Belfast going, would it be possible for a few of us to join you on that hopefully clear morning

SDAS/IAS are planning on using a site just off the M50 around Sandyford that Michael picked out. We need to make a trip beforehand to check that we have a clear view of the horizon there with no trees in the way etc, we'll let you know if it works out.

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
11 years 11 months ago #93986 by Paul Evans
Replied by Paul Evans on topic Re: Venus Transit ?
It's now confirmed - the IAA will be holding a public viewing of the Transit at Garron Point on the Antrim Coast Road. This site has the best unobstructed view of the Sunrise in Ireland - there slightly better views to be had further north in theory, but in practice they are obstructed by Scotland. We also have a secondary site inland and higher up as a backup in the event of Sea Fog.

See our website irishastro.org for details.

This is a public event and all are welcome.

Paul

IAA President

More
11 years 11 months ago #93987 by michael_murphy
Replied by michael_murphy on topic Re: Venus Transit ?
Hi Dave,

I've put a link to the observing location on the IAS website .
We have a clear view of the coast and by my calculations the Sun will rise just to the right of Howth.

You're more than welcome to join us.

Michael.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul Evans, mykc, manic_dave

More
11 years 11 months ago - 11 years 11 months ago #94004 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Venus Transit ?
Thats great guys, many thanks !!
based on your replies we now have a set of destinations from which we can work with, in the ideal situation of perfect weather we'll be heading to Antrim, its only 2-3 hours further and alot of our soon to be trip is on motorways..
BUT we wont be able commit to a destination until we know the weather conditions a day or 2 before hand :-(

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor
Last edit: 11 years 11 months ago by dave_lillis.

More
11 years 11 months ago #94012 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Venus Transit ?
Working on a couple locations around Tullamore for MAC, one of which could be Croghan Hill, the highest point this south of the Slieve Bloom. Will post more here soon.

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Moderators: Neill
Time to create page: 0.114 seconds