K-Tec

fireball in the sky (Sept 21st)

More
11 years 7 months ago #95042 by Donegal Skies
Replied by Donegal Skies on topic Re: fireball in the sky
From my location (54.6 N 7.8 W) the fireball came over the ESE horizon passing through Cetus, Pegasus (where it began to fragment). The fragments then gazed past Aquila and disappeared below horizon and Scutum at 22:57BST. I has too overwhelmed to take detailed mental notes but that is how I remember it.

An amazing sight.

C8N/Omni XLT 150
CG5 GOTO Mount/CG4 Mount with Motor Drive
Self-Modified Canon Digital Rebel/Stock 18-55mm lens/Sigma 70-300mm APO Lens/Philips SPC 900nc
My Flickr Page
Donegal Skies

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 7 months ago #95043 by johnny5
Replied by johnny5 on topic Re: fireball in the sky
Yeah I seen this earlier, it was an amazing sight, never seen anything like it before. I am just outside Spiddal, in Galway. It really looked fantastic when it broke up. Didn't really notice what constellations it went through, I was too excited.

More
11 years 7 months ago #95044 by Nerro
Replied by Nerro on topic Re: fireball in the sky
Was in sugar loaf....still cant believe it.Wasnt looking at constelations or anything because was just standing with my jaw droped.

More
11 years 7 months ago #95047 by stevie
Replied by stevie on topic Re: fireball in the sky
There were seven of us on Bragan mountain in Co. Monaghan last night, and we were all gobsmacked. Two of the guys were first-timers, and I think they imagine they are going to see something like this every time they come out in future.

The object first became visible from roughly the ESE, to the lower right of the Pleiades, just before 11pm. My initial thought was that it was an iridium flare, but it very quickly became much brighter, and larger, than any iridium I have seen before. My next thought was that it was a helicopter, coming directly towards us. but it soon became clear that the object was breaking up, and as it reached its highest point in the sky, there were about 15-20 pieces in all. Most of these started to fade and disappear quite quickly, but the leading 6 or 8 pieces carried on, passing close to Albireo before heading towards the horizon through Hercules. By the time they reached the horizon, there were still 5 pieces clearly visible.

I can't say for sure what it was, whether a large slow-moving meteor, a fireball, or a piece of space debris. But it was a memorable sight.

More
11 years 7 months ago #95049 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: fireball in the sky
Thanks for the detailed reports lads.
So, from the northern end of the country, it was seen towards the south.
If the other reports are accurate, that means it passed directly over the country.
Can anyone in the southern half of the country remember a star or constellation it passed by?
I know this sounds easier said than done when watching a jaw-dropping event!! ;-)

More
11 years 7 months ago #95050 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: fireball in the sky
Lots of reports this morning about the sighting, the club's email had a few enquiries too. I myself was out observing till around 22:40hrs, and one thing to note was that there were quite a few meteors in the short period I was out, lots in the south and east. Fast, bright, short meteors.

If only I wasn't so lazy and stayed out a little longer...

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Moderators: Neill
Time to create page: 0.111 seconds