K-Tec

fireball in the sky (Sept 21st)

More
11 years 7 months ago - 11 years 7 months ago #95060 by StephenK
Replied by StephenK on topic Re: fireball in the sky (Sept 21st)
Congrats to those that did manage to see it. I have had a few emails asking about it and looking for info.

It seems to have been one of those once in a lifetime amazing sights :bigshock:

I am delighted so many seen it!

I should have taken Phil up on his invitation to the sugarloaf . . bah babysitting :s

Stephen Kershaw
Ktec Telescopes Ltd
085 - 228 8692
sales@ktectelescopes.ie
www.ktectelescopes.ie
www.facebook.com/ktectelescopes
www.twitter.com/ktectelescopes
Last edit: 11 years 7 months ago by StephenK.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 7 months ago - 11 years 7 months ago #95064 by Bart
Replied by Bart on topic Re: fireball in the sky (Sept 21st)
I saw it last night just before eleven also. Lovely clear night out with the scope. Appeared low in the ENE and travelled almost parrallel to the horizon at about 10° altitude to the WNW, travelling slowly and disintegrating. Fantastic :bigshock: . It went on long enough for my wife to spot it from inside the house and come out calling me in case I hadn't spotted it. Even the kids made it out in their bare feet to get the last few seconds of it. :rock:
Last edit: 11 years 7 months ago by Bart.

More
11 years 7 months ago #95065 by Neill
Replied by Neill on topic Re: fireball in the sky (Sept 21st)
Saw this at 22:55 BST last night whilst observing at Delamount Country Park beside Strangford Lough with the IAA in Co Down. Was a great observing session anyway but this made it even better. When it first appeared in the East, thought it was a firework, but it soon became apparent that it wasn't. Lovely golden colour, around 20 separate pieces. It passed over to the West, moved quite slowly. Awesome sight.

• flt158
  • Away
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
11 years 7 months ago #95066 by flt158
Replied by flt158 on topic Re: fireball in the sky
Sorry to say, I have just watched a guy on the TV from Jodrell Bank Observatory, and he is definite the phenonemon was space debris breaking up in our atmosphere. I feel very deflated it was not a set of meteors. Feel free to comment.

Aubrey.

More
11 years 7 months ago #95067 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: fireball in the sky (Sept 21st)
FYI:

It is very unlikely this was a satellite re-entry for two reasons:

1) East to west trajectory. This would make a satellite retrograde. Retrograde satellites are very rare (literally only a handful exist);

2) No decay candidates on space-track (USSTRATCOM portal). Given the brightness, this should have been a big piece that should have been tracked. Only possible option would be a classified object.

While the duration and trajectory length are unusual, meteors of this kind are known (e.g. Peekskill). I suggest this was a very slow, asteroidal origin fireball that probably dropped meteorites, but alas in sea in seems....

- Marco

Dr Marco (asteroid 183294) Langbroek
Dutch Meteor Society (DMS)

More
11 years 7 months ago #95068 by Neill
Replied by Neill on topic Re: fireball in the sky (Sept 21st)
It was still very cool, even it was space debris :) Well remember it for a long time, one of the best things I have seen in the sky for a long time.

Moderators: Neill
Time to create page: 0.109 seconds